2003 Regal 1800 w/ Volvo Penta V6 Engine Question - Spark Plugs?

Sah44

Recruit
I have driven my boat for the last 8 years without any issues whatsoever until yesterday. My boat started fine, ran fine until I parked it at a dock at the park in 96 degree heat. After sitting for 2 hrs I got back in and the boat started and I idled out and as I began to speed up and trim out, the boat just stopped. After many hours of trying to get it going I gave up bc I couldn't figure it out. Here are the things I tried:

*Used starter fluid in carb but it wouldn't fire
*After it wouldn't fire I figured it was spark plugs
*I took off the plug wires and really not sure I put them back on the right plugs bc I am a true engine novice:(
*Finally got it started and began to go out and test it but it ran extremely poor and I turned it off and then could not get it started again.

My question is, since it started, would it be spark plugs of maybe the fuel filter?

The boat only has 146 hrs and is clean and has always ran strong.

I would really appreciate any advice. Please and Thank you!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2003 Regal 1800 w/ Volvo Penta V6 Engine Question - Spark Plugs?

*Used starter fluid in carb but it wouldn't fire

NEVER do that if you plan on that engine lasting more than one season. Take it off the boat.

Did you check for spark? Did you pull the flame arrestor and see if the carb squirts fuel when the throttle is pumped?

I have driven my boat for the last 8 years without any issues whatsoever until yesterday

Have you been keeping up with maintenance items, like impellers, tuneups, etc?

Here is the firing order. If you didn't remove the plug wires from the cap, they should be in the right place. Bring it up on #1 TDC on the compression stroke to make sure where the rotor is pointing for #1

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 0

Sah44

Recruit

Thank you for the knowledge. Much appreciated. Starting Fluid Is disposed of. Thankfully that was the first and only time used. Based on your diagram, I did not even come close to hooking it up the correct way. I have called the mechanic omit and I will let him know your suggestions.

05regal

Recruit

Sah44

i had almost the exact thing happen to me not once but 3 times. 04 regal 1800lrs 4.3gl, it appears that the fuel pump loses prime, i disconnect the fuel line to the carbrator and suck, (bad idea but when miles for dock, you do what you must) until fuel refills the filter. After doing this it starts and runs everytime, like nothing happened. i will be removing, testing and replacing the fuel pump as indicated be the new boating season. i have replaced the fuel filter so i am certain it is not the problem, and i always have spark when this happens. good luck.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome iboats 05, if you look at the date of the original post, you will see this thread is almost a year old. Please don't reply to old threads.