• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Looking for Genuine Volvo Penta parts? Visit the volvopentastore.com - powered by iboats.com to receive FREE SHIPPING on orders over $99!

Looking for Genuine Volvo Penta parts? Visit volvopentastore.com - powered by iboats.com to receive FREE SHIPPING on orders over $99! UPS Ground only. Not available on Alaska, Hawaii, or international orders.
2 of 2 < >

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Freeze plug replacement

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze plug replacement

I have a '96 5.0 volvo i/o, and did not drian the water from the engine this winter. I discovered that 4 of the 6 freeze plugs had popped out. I have replaced these as best i could, but they are painfully difficult to get to (engine mount brackets in the way), so they are not pressed in well. I have started the engine and it sounds ok.

Question 1: Is there a special tool to press these in? Can a shop do this for me?

Question 2: Is the casing behind the freeze plugs pressurized? Are the plugs trying to be pushed out?

Question 3: What are the tell-tell signs if there was more freeze damage besides the plugs? What would i look for?

Re: Freeze plug replacement

I read somewhere on here that they are actually casting holes and not meant for freeze protection. I didn't properly drain my block one season and started it up in the summertime and had water pouring out the side of my block. looked in the bilge and there was the plug. cleaned the hole and the plug with some sandpaper and tapped it back in and i was good to go.

that being said.....if you are leaking any water or if you start having overheating issues....there are issues. I would check your oil and run it on muffs for a while and then check your oil again. All the while checking for any water obviously leaking from anywhere.
    2000 Four Winns Horizon 200

Comment

Thanks. I have tried to press them back in and have run the engine for about 25 minutes without any obvious problems. I am worried about the brass plugs not holding since i wasn't able to do a proper press fit, but i have since bought rubber expansion plugs as a backup should they pop out during operation. I still don't have a good idea of what to look for other than milky oil (meaning water is getting into a cracked block). Any other tell-tell signs?

Comment

They are called core plugs used in the casting process, they are not "Freeze Plugs" nor do they prevent freeze damage to the engine. In fact, they are part of the damage.
        They are also not reusable. they might stick in there a bit while on muffs, but they won't last long out on the water.
        Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
        That is what the forums are for.
        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Understand. So are you saying that there is pressure behind these plugs that wants to push them out, or don't you know?

Comment

So are you saying that there is pressure behind these plugs that wants to push them out, or don't you know?
            There is some pressure, not a lot, and yes I know what I am talking about.
            Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
            That is what the forums are for.
            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

you can buy new plugs that u push in they have a rubber seal on them and there is a nut on it you put the plug in tighten the nut to make it tight in the hole and you will be good to go if there are no other problems with the moter do to freezing

Comment

I have found the rubber expansion plugs you are speaking of. The question now is do i pop out the brass plugs i've already semi-pressed back in and use the rubber plugs, or do i take my chances that the brass plugs will hold. My biggest fear is that they blow when out when on the lake and i either can't cool down the engine and/or can't prevent the leak and sink the bloody boat. Aargh!

Comment

One time I had to replace a Mercruiser short block due to a bad head gasket--pitting the space between cylinders. I had to wait over 6 months for an engine, as Mercury didn't have any engines warehoused. Mercury and other boat manufacturers only rent out the GM engine factory something like one per year to cast engines to their specifications. The metallurgy and motor mounts are different on marine engines. Mercury said that seldom does a customer wear out a car based engine--that the vast majority of replacement engines is due to freezing.

I don't have any idea of the space you're working in. You might could pierce the brass plugs if you had room to get a hammer in there. Then, pry them out with a screwdriver. I'm not familiar with the rubber replacement plugs--and if using them will work. I personally would probably pull the engine and fix it right if you cannot replace the brass plugs due to a lack of space. Pulling an inboard-outboard engine is not really that hard of a job. You've just got to have the tool to align the outdrive with the motor. It also takes a tall hoist to get the engine over the side of the boat.

If you had a closed cooling system, like a car, you could be looking for bubbles in the coolant. I don't know how you'd diagnose a 5.0 marine engine that'd froze.

Comment

The right thing to do is replace them with standard brass plugs.. a set of these is only about $25. Put a little bit of RTV silicone gasket sealant on the edges before you tap them into place with a dowel (I use permatex).

More importantly, pressure test your engine water passages before you go out on the water. If you popped the plugs, odds are good you also have an engine crack somewhere, and finding and fixing that could save you a couple thousand dollars over ignoring it.

Having the engine run well means very little. I had a 305 (MC 228) engine that ran when it was half full of water. It only would have cut out when enough water got into the oil to completely flood the engine.

Even if you don't see signs of water, pressure test the cooling system and do a leakdown test on the cylinders to see if there's a problem, otherwise you may end up out on the lake with no engine and damage to your boat you could have avoided.

If the engine is going to break, it's going to do so on the water after being run at high speed under a load and in high stress conditions... it may look and work well on land then blow up on the water.

Erik
                    Sea Ray SRV-210 - Winter refit
                    75-85 foot displacement hull trawler - gleam in my eye

Comment

Originally posted by Bamaman1 View Post
                      Mercury and other boat manufacturers only rent out the GM engine factory something like one per year to cast engines to their specifications. The metallurgy and motor mounts are different on marine engines.
                      Totally not true. Matallurgy and motor mount locations are identical.
                      1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                      Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                      Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                      "Common sense is not very common"
                      "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                      X