No gas, No Start, for my 2002 FourWinns Volvo Penta 3.0GL (:

danzimal

Cadet
Hello experts...
So last fall, I winterized my boat.
This includes, new impeller, oil, filters, plugs, and one last engine run to verify my work and then I fogg the engine, all looking good. I have done this procedure now maybe 6 or 7 seasons.

Last week, I launch my boat for the first time this year and nothing. The battery turns the motor over, but not even a spit or sputter. I always pump my throttle several times to force some gas into the carb before I turn the key. So I pumped and I pumped and nothing. I pulled the flame arrestor off and looked into the carb and it's bone dry.

I guess I have a mechanical fuel pump, and maybe something is wrong with the pump. Seems odd since it working fine. But I'm at a little loss in understanding how the gas enters the carb by using the throttle when the engine isn't cranking thus turning the fuel pump?

Or maybe I have it backwards.... I guess that maybe when the engine cranks, fuel pressure should build up and is then available to be released via the throttle?

Any idea's to diagnose this problem is appreciated.

danzimal

Cadet
Re: No gas, No Start, for my 2002 FourWinns Volvo Penta 3.0GL :)

Ah...
I found this...
Looks like this won't be easy...

Carburetor accelerator pump should squirt fuel into the
Venturi when throttle is advanced. If not, check the:
1. Fuel Tank, valves, and lines
2. Fuel pump and filter
3. Carburetor and Filter
4. Boat Fuel System Troubleshooting Chart
5. Carburetor Troubleshooting Chart
6. Engine Fuel System Troubleshooting Chart

captmello

Captain
Re: No gas, No Start, for my 2002 FourWinns Volvo Penta 3.0GL :)

If the boat has sat for an extended period, the fuel in the carb will most likely have evaporated leaving no fuel for the accelerator pump to pump. You may need to pour a small amount of fuel into the carb to get it going, or keep cranking the starter to allow the fuel pump to fill the carb.

Let us know how it goes.:)