Volvo Penta Cobra SX water leak at transom

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
I've had water leaking into the boat since I got it a couple of years ago. Not great amount, but more than it should leak. I couldn't find where it was coming from so I just lived with it.

The other day, it got to the point that I couldn't ignore it any longer. We parked the boat while we went for a swim, and when we got ready to leave, the engine compartment floor was soaked and the drive was stuck in the mud. I pumped it out (need to get that auto bilge pump, I know) and limped back to the dock.

After inspecting everywhere that water could be coming from, I removed the top cap from the transom shield where the steering linkage is and found that the gasket for the cap was worn. It's probably 16 years old, and eventually just lost its resiliency. When I put the cap back on, you could hear the metal hitting on metal, due to the compressed gasket. I've got a gasket ordered and should be back on the water shortly.

If anybody else has a leak (large or small) and hasn't checked this gasket, it would be worth a look. It sure was nice to find the leak fixed with a 3 dollar part vs. having to replace a transom!!!

The cover is 28 and gasket is 29 on this part diagram.

Transom%20Shield%20SX1.gif

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta Cobra SX water leak at transom

Ayuh,... Unfortunately,...
The Only way to find a water leak, is Look...
use a mirror, or camera, or whatever it takes to find it...

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am not sure how water leaking thru this gasket will end up leaking thru the transom. The leak the size you are talking about is normally the boots leaking or on a older boat transom rot.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Guys, he had a lead and found it, fixed it, and is telling people what caused the leak on his boat. And yes, it will leak into the boat.
Bad thing is, the transom shield shouldn't set that low in the water to begin with.

Hamjohnbone

Cadet
I know it's been a while since this post but seem to b having same problem. Tried clicking on link for more details but no luck. Would u have time to point me in right direction. Thanks

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, the bottom half of my transom was rotten. Whenever I would beach it, with the bow up and the stern touching the bottom, it would flex the soft transom and allow water to leak into the boat. As long as I was in the open water, the weight of the drive, held it up against the skin of the hull. Whenever the boat was beached, it would allow the drive to be pulled away from the hull, and water would just pour in.

I found the rotten spot in the transom a few weeks after posting this originally.

I reached under the engine, and could barely reach the keyhole in the transom that the drive sticks through. It felt soft, and I found what looked like wet sawdust on my hands. I couldn't see the rotten spot until I pulled the engine and the transom assembly. I replaced the transom last year.

I wish the leak would have been from the top cap on the drive at the steering connection, but it was a lot worse than that.