Volvo Penta SX tilt trim cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencers

Recruit
Bought a 1999 Volvo penta SX I/O that was used in salt water. Leaked noticed in the tilt trim system so started to check all seals. When it came to taking off the fluid lines they were corroded on. The nut rounded with the first turn of a wrench, even after use of penetrating lube. After finally getting them off I found out the female threads inside the rams where stripped and now will not tighten and seal.:facepalm: There is not much room between hole and top of cylinder if you have ever seen them, both lines are on the same end, so I don't think I can tap/die a bigger reducer fitting in. New Volvo rams are almost $500 ea. and no used ones on ebay it seems. There is plenty of OMC rams for cheap and i know most parts are interchangeable. So two questions, will the OMC work or does anybody have any fixes to suggest. Thanks.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Penta SX tilt trim cylinder

Hey man, I feel your pain. I just went through this. Yes, SOME OMC rams will work with Volvo SX drives. Keep looking. You might try calling a bunch of local shops to see if they have an old set laying around. Try marine salvage too. One dirty little secret, the SX cylinders are supposedly not rebuildable. BS. There is a Johnson/evenrude/OMC trim seal kit that will work. I do not know the model number, but it is about $30 per ram. Search the forum. If you can find a cheap set of take-offs you might take a shot at rebuilding them. I found a pair locally at a salvage yard for $200 that were still in decent shape. Not new, but not a grand for the pair, either.

Spencers

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I will definitly be looking around. Hard part about the OMC is nothing says whether they will fit or not. If the pin size and extension length are the same size it should work though. Thanks again!

bransjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have two extra rams...

Status
Not open for further replies.