1996 Volvo/Penta will not idle nor stay running.

hookemdano

Cadet
I am helping a buddy try to solve a problem, so be kind...

1996 Volvo 5.7GLIPLKDCE throttle body injection

Runs @1200-1400 RPM for 1.5 to 2 minutes then dies. Turn key on,
and hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds then stops, repeat
this for 5 or 6 times, it will start and run 1.5 to 2 minutes, then dies, you can repeat senerio
for ever. It just will not idle nor stay running.

I have replaced the following:

High pressure fuel pump
2 injectors
float valve & seat in the "fuel resevoir"
cleaned the fuel system
replace fuel/water filter

any thoughts for him to check? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 Volvo/Penta will not idle nor stay running.

1996 Volvo 5.7L PLKDCE throttle body injection

You are missing some letters before the PLKDCE, and the serial number is for the drive, not the engine.

hookemdano

Cadet

You are missing some letters before the PLKDCE, and the serial number is for the drive, not the engine.

Don thanks...here it is: GLIPLKDCE

where is the serial # for the engine located? these #'s were taken off the tag on the engine...

Don S

Hook up a remote fuel tank (outboard tank) to the engine filter instead of the boats fuel tank and try it.
Do you have fuel pressure gauges you can hookup?

I edited the model number in your original post, just makes it easier to find later.
Don't really need the serial number for the engine right now, but just as an FYI, it should be on a metal tag on the port/aft side of the block aft of where the oil filter is.

hookemdano

Cadet

Hook up a remote fuel tank (outboard tank) to the engine filter instead of the boats fuel tank and try it.
Do you have fuel pressure gauges you can hookup?

I edited the model number in your original post, just makes it easier to find later.
Don't really need the serial number for the engine right now, but just as an FYI, it should be on a metal tag on the port/aft side of the block aft of where the oil filter is.

Thank, he will give that a try...and no, he doesnt have any fuel pressure gauges at the moment. What should be the pressure at each of his pumps?

Don S

Lp 5 +-3
hp 11 +-2

hookemdano

Cadet
RESOLUTION...Re: 1996 Volvo/Penta will not idle nor stay running.

RESOLUTION...Re: 1996 Volvo/Penta will not idle nor stay running.

the problem was the fuel pump...when my buddy had replaced the fuel pump, he also did the injectors at the same time...BUT...they were the wrong injectors. Luckily he kept the old injectors and put them back in and all is good again...he ended up taking it into a mechanic and he said, now this is 2nd hand...mechanic said something about the computer and wrong injectors, blah, blah, blah....switched back to the original injectors and it works fine.

Thanks...