Volvo Shift Cable Tight

jclarke2899

Seaman
I have a couple problems with my shift cable. Since I bought the boat, it was pretty tough to shift into reverse. The nut at the outdrive has to be screwed ALL the way in for it to align with the neutral position, and even there, it seems like another 1/16 of an inch or so would be better. I removed the drive this year and when I put it back on, it was the same way, needed to have it screwed all the way in, and it seems to be a little tougher to shift, I'm assuming I possibly bent the cable too much when pulling or reinstalling the cable. There is an anchor where it enters the back of the drive, but it seems there is no adjustment there, so how would I adjust the cable to have more threads? I'm guessing this can be done at the remote control end? At this point, would I be better replacing the shift cable since it's hard to shift anyways? I've read some people saying two finger shifting and mine is NOWHERE near that nor has it ever been since I have owned it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Shift Cable Tight

The other end of the cable (in the remote control) is also adjustable. Probably all the way one direction. If you bent the cable end when installing, you need a new cable.