2000 Volvo Penta 5.7L GL Running Problems

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000 Volvo Penta 5.7L GL with 610 hours on it. I keep the boat well maintained and do all the work on it myself.

I was cruising at 3200 RPMs this morning and heard a bang/pop.

Then 2-3 seconds after the initial noise I lost power and the boat began running rough.

I throttled down and looked into the engine compartment and could find nothing wrong.

I throttled back up and I get lots of mis-firing and loss of power. I assume that bang/pop was actually a back fire.

It runs normally under 2000 RPMs and anything over that or 5 gal/hr results in poor running.

I assume this is a carb issue, my fuel is 3 weeks old and I have 3/4 or a tank. This is the first running issue I have ever had with this boat.

I am looking forward to memorial day weekend and I need some ideas on what to check. If I need parts I need to order them ASAP!

Thanks for any help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2000 Volvo Penta 5.7L GL Running Problems

Pull the spark plugs and look at condition. Then do a compression test.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you so much for the help. I assume you think this may be a bad cylinder? I will pull the plugs and do a compression test tonight.

Also I seem to recall on my old Ford inboard days with another boat, that a backfire through the carb can blow the "power valve" which result in this kind of running? I really don't know much about carbs.

Don S

You changed your title from 5.7L GL to Gi ?????????? Which is it? a Gi engine is fuel injected, a GL is carbed.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GL is the correct engine.

Don S

Power valves in Holley carbs was a problem back in the 80's, not anymore.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I am off to do a compression test and will post the results.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Compression result shows all cylinders very close to one another in the 135-150 psi range. I changed the fuel filter as well and found it to be full of water, the boat seems to run very well again and I will check the filter at the end of this tank of gas.

I broke something off my alternator while fiddling around the engine and I will need to ID the broken part, but that is for another thread.

By the way, the engine is really a GS :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update, still have running problems. Lots of mis-fires and stumbling issues.

Judging by the fuel flow meter there is no issue with fuel delivery to the carb. Fuel filter is new as well.

I also noted that the engine temp never went above 120 degrees or so, where it used to hold steady at 175. I could hold my hand to the block after running 30 minutes and keep it there. I changed the thermostat today but did not have time to do a trial run.

Could the T-stat be the cause of the issues? I plan to replace the cap and rotor as well, but they are 2 seasons old so I am not sure if that is even worth checking.

Don S

What kind of spark plugs were in it? Cap could be cracked or moisture build up, you just have to look. What shaper are the plug wires in? Wiring connection on the coil, and other engine parts. Don't forget, we can't see, listen to, feel, or smell what is going on with your engine, only what you type.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your input.

The plugs are AC Delco, cant recall the model # off hand.

Plug wires, cap, rotor, and plugs all done within the last 2 years. I will check the cap/rotor and ignition coil and post results.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back in post #8 you said that your fuel filter was full of water. After changing the filter, it seemed like the engine ran fine, right?

Perhaps you've got a bunch of water in your tank and your new filter is full of water again causing all of the misfiring.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the feedback, I should have updated on that too- but the first thing I checked was the fuel filter and it had no water in it this time around, so my fuel looks good at this point.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went out today and ran the boat at 3200 RPM for 2 hours, it never missed a beat. I did notice that the temp rides at 130 degrees now, is this correct for a RWC engine with a 160 degree t-stat? It used to hold at 175 degrees.

hobokener

Recruit
Hi, Im having exactly the same issue on my 2002 5.0 GL. We have already rebuilt the carburetor and spark plugs/fuel filter have been replaced. And exhaust system was renewed on 2012. Yesterday engine was running almost an hour without any problems. (3500-4300RPM). After an hour I heard a bang from the engine and I lost power and was not able to get more than 2500 rpm after that. And this has been happening more than once. After this noise from the back the sound of the engine is not so smooth anymore.

Cascobay, What was the final solution for your problem?

TenDriver

Cadet
I've got similar issues with a 2000 5.0GL I've been working on for a friend. The distributor cap had lots of corrosion in it, plugs are fouled, runs rich as crap at idle. My friend had the carb rebuilt 4 times in 4 years. I've verified it's jetted a little fat, but not too fat (69's in it). I've got new plugs, dist cap and a rotor I'm going to put back in today and see if anything cleans up.

Another member here said to look for a clear line running from the fuel pump to the carb, which this boat doesn't have. Short of putting a new carb on the boat, I'm out of ideas.

Last edited: