Idle under load running rough..hesitation upon start up....voltmeter on dash fluctuat

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everybody. Just took out a new to me 2000 Four Winns Horizon 200. It seemed to run fine on our test drive before i bought it but now am running into some issues. First of all the required info.

Engine:
5.0 GI PWTR

Outdrive:
Type: SX-M
Product #: 3868891
Ser #: 4112084001
Ratio: 1.60

I dropped the boat in the water and it started up just fine. I let it warm up to operating temp and took it out for a cruise. At slow Idle speeds i noticed it seemed to be running a little rough...almost like it was about to die. It seemed to run fine at planing speeds. I also noticed the voltmeter on the dash looked a little low to me but i wasn't sure where normal was supposed to be on this boat.

after about 30 minutes cruising around i idled around a little....still running rough....the i throttled up and it kind of hesitated and it was kind of like a little backfire sound.

ran it about 3000 rpm for about 20 minutes and almost back to the boat launch and it totally cut out but the engine didn't die. I had been keeping an eye on the voltmeter and it seemed to be slowly going down (no numbers on the meter except at the ends.) At times the meter would jump halfway up the gauge and the boat seemed to run fine for a few seconds. the meter was all the way to the left when it died off the planing speed.

my question.....seems like a charging problem to me...i plan on full tune-up and checking alternator for correct voltage output. Just wondering if there is anything that typically goes wrong on these?(I know....it's a boat):)

i spent some time searching for similar problems and got some good ideas (ignition module?) but wanted to double check before i go digging into it.

Awesome forum:D

thanks for the help

Guy

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Idle under load running rough..hesitation upon start up....voltmeter on dash fluc

Typical problems are loose belts, and loose, corroded battery terminals.

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Idle under load running rough..hesitation upon start up....voltmeter on dash fluc

Belts are the first thing i checked....seemed good.....quick look at the terminals looked ok but that will be checked more thoroughly when i go through everything....hopefully this afternoon will clear up a little so i don't have to work in the rain

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update.....got a chance to do a little tinkering this afternoon.
checked plugs....pretty black..none broken though (had that problem before).
voltage at idle off alternator and battery is about 11.8 and at 1500 rpm's is about 13.3 (no load...running on muffs)
wires look ok but haven't replaced them yet as with the cap and rotor.

could someone point me in the right direction for tune-up parts and a shop manual....previous owner gave me manual # 7797353 and i noticed on the front it says it's for the PEFS and XEFS series of engines.
also...on the engine it says to use VP or Champion plugs. I've read on some of these forums that Champion are no good so i'd like to go with VP or NGK.

when i do the tune up i plan on a compression test at the same time.

also....all connections look good.....no corrosion that i can tell...but i plan on cleaning them all anyway at tune-up time.

thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does this voltage look right?

voltage at idle off alternator and battery is about 11.8 and at 1500 rpm's is about 13.3 (no load...running on muffs)

Don S

Voltages look a little low, is that with a DVM or just looking at the engine gauge?

Service manuals http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521

Parts http://www.iboats.com/Volvo-Penta-Parts/dm/*******.540160699--**********.974921819--view_id.352668

If you don't want to buy OEM parts, at least look up the correct OEM number, then go to the aftermaket section and get the right part conversion.

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

DVM....the gauge is in a VDO cluster...there is a warning buzzer that is pretty faint when the voltage drops to what looks like about 10 volts on the gauge....when the gauge pops back up to around 14 the buzzer beeps louder a couple times then stops....parts should be in at my marina tomorrow

kinda makes me think that theres a bad connection somewhere in the charging system....no problems starting it though.

Last edited:

Don S

Use your meter and check the battery terminals (not the cable connector that attach to the battery) and see what it reads, then go to the connectors on the cables, then move to the other ends of the cables and determine where the voltage drops.
It could be the alternator is defective. Take it to your local starter/alternator repair shop (not an auto parts store) and have it tested by a pro. it may be something simple and inexpensive to fix.

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have the alternator out and bringing to a shop recommended my my local marina tomorrow.....thanks for the help Don and I'll post an update tomorrow.

Last edited:

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well....brought the alternator in to get checked out.....guy said it was fine....when it stops raining (if ever) i'll put it back in with all the connections cleaned again (missed a couple when it was in the boat).

Just curious though...the guy tested it it for about a minute on his machine. when i had it in the boat though it took about 10-15 minutes before the voltage started dropping. I mentioned it to the guy and he said a voltage regulator or a diode might be going out? Anyone have any further info on this?

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another update....Put the alternator back in last night and fired it up.....voltage stayed up for about 45 minutes of running.....crossing my fingers. today the plan is plugs, cap and rotor and if the weather stays somewhat decent i'll take it to the lake and try it out....

noticed something else though...after running for awhile (on muffs) there is some black stuff on top of the water and a little on the outdrive.....soot?

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more update (hopefully)

Did compression test...all cylinders at 155 to 165 psi....replaced plugs....pretty fouled...replaced cap and rotor....connections in cap were pretty corroded and the shaft that the rotor goes on was pretty rusty. cleaned everything up, fired it up and it starts on the first crank now rather than the 3rd or 4th. seems to run alot smooter and no black gunk.

will update again after lake test.

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright....had it out on the lake all weekend with no issues.....(except the flat tire on my trailer). I think the Distributor and cleaning all the connections in the charging system did wonders. Now just have to get my tire fixed and hopefully enjoy the summer (when it gets here).

thanks for the help:D