volvo penta duo prop

ahava722

Cadet
I have a mid 90's 285 dou prop and looking for a lower unit or vertical drive shaft. there is almost nothing on internet about a 285 Is that a rare unit. Exactly what is the diff. between a 280 and a 285. Any help on finding these parts would be great. Thanks AL

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta duo prop

The 280 and 285 drives are almost identical and not a concern when looking for parts. But they are also not mid 90's. Mid to early 80's most likely. Can you post a picture of your drive and transom shield ?

ahava722

Cadet

The boat is a 1982 28 ft bayliner flybridge w/260 the outdrive was switched to a duo prop in mid 90's . Is it possible to do that by just replacing the lower unit. The serial plate on the top of outdrive does say 285. I have the lower unit off and the and the vertical drive shaft is broke. Looking to replace it or the unit. This was my fathers boat who passed in November,so I'm trying to fix it just to be able to sell. Trying to do this as cheaply as possible because the boat is not worth a heck of a lot of money. Thanks AL

Don S

Is it possible to do that by just replacing the lower unit.

Absolutely, that's how it's done. There are only 2 types of vertical shafts, short or long. How long is the coupler between the upper and lower. One is about 3" long, the other around 6.

ahava722

Cadet

Coupler is actually 2 inches . What are my choices on fixing this problem. I'm a auto tech w/30 yrs exp. but not sure if I want to try to pull lower unit apart to replace shaft. Would rather find used lower unit and replace. I do have a SELOC manual.

ahava722

Cadet

What are my choices on fixing this problem. I'm a auto tech w/30 yrs exp. but not sure if I want to try to pull lower unit apart to replace shaft. Would rather find used lower unit and replace. I do have a SELOC manual. What lower units do you think I can replace it with? Thanks AL

Don S

Any DP model between 290DP and a DP-E with the proper gear ratio.