upgrade volvo 5.0 with edelbrock 1409 , need to set timing I think!

eddiejaimes

Cadet
Hello guys, I have a 2000 monterey 302 cruiser with twin volvo penta 5.0 220hp carburated with the 2bb holley carb, the carbs where almost beyond rebuilt so i purchase d2 new edelbrock 1409, remove the old carbs, installed the adaptor plate and put the carbs in, the engines iddle really smoth, if i hit the trotle half way without opening the secondaris the engines sounds goo, once i hit the trotle all the way it seems like is not running rigth and sometimes it backfires, now if I slowlly open the trothle it seems ok, I have a nice timing ligth but i would like to now where is the timing suposed to be and if there is any timing adjutment needed from upgrading to a 4 bbl carb, thanks for your help in advance!

My engine is 200 volvo 5.0 Gl, I dont seem to find the plug were the paper clip is suposed to go, i been reading the various post, but they seem to be for diferent engine, also do i need to set my timing ligth in advance 8 degrees rev the engine to 1000 Rpm and aling the mark on the timing cover? is that it? thanks for your help in advance again!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: upgrade volvo 5.0 with edelbrock 1409 , need to set timing I think!

The timing doesn't change due to type of carb. If it was ok before, it's not a timing problem.
Did you adjust the idle mixture to the engine? a little lean, and it will hesitate and backfire.

rbchristian2

Cadet

Hello guys, I have a 2000 monterey 302 cruiser with twin volvo penta 5.0 220hp carburated with the 2bb holley carb, the carbs where almost beyond rebuilt so i purchase d2 new edelbrock 1409, remove the old carbs, installed the adaptor plate and put the carbs in, the engines iddle really smoth, if i hit the trotle half way without opening the secondaris the engines sounds goo, once i hit the trotle all the way it seems like is not running rigth and sometimes it backfires, now if I slowlly open the trothle it seems ok, I have a nice timing ligth but i would like to now where is the timing suposed to be and if there is any timing adjutment needed from upgrading to a 4 bbl carb, thanks for your help in advance!

My engine is 200 volvo 5.0 Gl, I dont seem to find the plug were the paper clip is suposed to go, i been reading the various post, but they seem to be for diferent engine, also do i need to set my timing ligth in advance 8 degrees rev the engine to 1000 Rpm and aling the mark on the timing cover? is that it? thanks for your help in advance again!

Although I agree with Don S, the timing might be off before you changed the carb. I just did this on my boat with a Quadrajet and it reacted very similar. The boat ran fine before but after it was popping and hesitating horribly so I put the 2bbl back on. The I figured out there had to be a problem. Well mine is a reverse rotation motor and the timing was actually set at about 3 degrees retarded (by previous owner) but on a standard motor it would be advanced.
I recommend you get timing tape and have an advance timing gun just to test the accuracy of your tape as I don't know the exact size of the balancer. I put mine to 10 degrees advanced as listed for 89 octane and the boat ran great. I put the quadrajet back on and I gained 3-4 mph and it was stronger than ever. Volvo makes it so easy with the manifold already being a spreadbore 4bbl manifold. FYI the 10 degrees advance is at 600 RPM's and that is where you should set it. I heard you can go higher but this isn't a race car it is my boat where I strive for reliability!

Double check your timing and you can't trust the gun for advance as it doesn't know if it is reverse rotation. But if you rev the motor whatever direction the timing goes is the direction of advance.

rbchristian2

Cadet

by the way, I would assume you have a 305 5.0 not a 302.

eddiejaimes

Cadet

thanks a lot, my 2 engines are regular rotation, the shift is done at the lower unit. I have a called marine mechanic to asjust the carb and it seem to be better at the dock but when i tried it has the same problem, not to mention now the idle is really rich, it smell really bad so im going to leave the settting on the carbs they way they were. I have check the time at 10 degrees but no luck, for now the boat gets on plane with no problem with 7 people and fully loaded withou opening up the secondaries, for now im going to leave like that, but i want to make sure the time is set properly, if i go slow while on the way as soon as the secondarys open the engines pops, you can feel it slowing dow and then i pick up normal and continies to rev up, any ides? thanks!