how do i change the lower unit oil 1984 volvo/penta i/o

Status
Not open for further replies.

islandmike

Recruit
My boat is an 1984 bayliner ciera, 21'... Volvo_ penta...b/c its a odd unit not many people seem not to be able to help so I'm trying this.
I clearly see the drain but a similar " flat head plug" is at the top of the unit (its involvement I don't know) and beyond this I am lost. Any info would really help

captmello

Captain
Re: how do i change the lower unit oil 1984 volvo/penta i/o

The bottom plug is the drain, the upper plug is the dipstick.

Welcome to Iboats, btw.

Whats so odd about your lower unit??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you go to the link below, you can download an owners manual for your engine/drive. Just type in the model number of your engine (AQsomething you didn't mention it) that will show you how Volvo does it.
http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

Assuming you have a 270 or 280 drive (again, you never mentioned what you have) you raise the drive and put the oil in the fill plug, trim down, wait, check with dipstick, put up, add some more, and repeat as necessary till you get the drive oil to the proper level on the dipstick. I kind of bypasses all the raising and lowering by putting the drive level, adding a funnel and filling and checking till at the proper level.

Like this. Fill to proper level on the dipstick, new gaskets and orings on the drain, fill, and dipstick, and you are ready to go.

attachment.php

Here is how I made my funnel setup.

attachment.php

Just an FYI, you need to change the ujoint bellows if over 2 years old unless you like pulling the engine.

Attachments

• Volvo drive filling procedure.jpg
    Volvo drive filling procedure.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Volvo filling funnel.jpg
    Volvo filling funnel.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

If you go to the link below, you can download an owners manual for your engine/drive. Just type in the model number of your engine (AQsomething you didn't mention it) that will show you how Volvo does it.
http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta...on_search.aspx

Assuming you have a 270 or 280 drive (again, you never mentioned what you have) you raise the drive and put the oil in the fill plug, trim down, wait, check with dipstick, put up, add some more, and repeat as necessary till you get the drive oil to the proper level on the dipstick. I kind of bypasses all the raising and lowering by putting the drive level, adding a funnel and filling and checking till at the proper level.

Like this. Fill to proper level on the dipstick, new gaskets and orings on the drain, fill, and dipstick, and you are ready to go.

attachment.php

Here is how I made my funnel setup.

attachment.php

Just an FYI, you need to change the ujoint bellows if over 2 years old unless you like pulling the engine.

This is an old thread I know, but I would like to add that if you use this procedure on a 270 drive that has the oil fill plug just above the cavitation plate, be sure and raise the drive once you get the proper amount of oil added...ie. before you remove the plug end of the makeshift funnel. Otherwise, as I learned the hard way yesterday after trying this technique for the first time, if you pull the plug without raising the drive first, a significant amount of oil will come out of the fill hole. I probably should have realized this would have happened but obviously I did not. Just thought I'd add this to the thread. Thanks Don S for the tip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.