1973 volvo penta 270 glastron v174 leaking missing winter plug??

DoogieTroudt

Cadet
I bought this boat as a restore project. It has No interior.. was winterized 5 years ago and sat since.. Got the boat running today poped right off. But it was spewing water out of a hole that is upper left of the oil filter.. Like someone took out a 1/2" plug.. What goes in there. sorry if this was posted before but i have searched for a while now.. Thanks!! for the help on a stupid question!!

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 volvo penta 270 glastron v174 leaking missing winter plug??

:DWelcome to iBoats !!! Like Don is saying more info is needed. But if you got the same as me its on the 6 cyl. right , its a drain for winterizing . I was thinking of taking out the plug and replacing it with a spin out type.

SWTobias

Seaman Apprentice

That sure sounds like the drain plug. I just got my boat running again also after five years of storage. The drain plug on the starboard side spewed water like a fountain. I had replaced the originals with brass ones that had a valve in it. I'll replace both of them tomorrow. It's a common item at most marine stores.

I'd be interested in hearing of any other 'glitches' that show up after sitting for five years. I have a laundry list but don't want to hijack your post.

DoogieTroudt

Cadet

I like when i get good info on any information i can get.. Im a motor head on cars anyways.. So Sorry Don for the mis post of information its a 4cyl b20 volvo penta. 270 sterndrive... The plug looks like its smooth maybee a thread on one end. There is no Threads in the block but deep inside there is a small Square hole. I thought maybe an old school rubber squeeze freez plug would fit. I just know one simple fix isnt the right fix.. Expecially when the Family is out in the water with me...
SWtobias I dont mind any hijacks at all I am new to Forums I will say any info at anytime from any one is the best info a New Boater could get!!!! I havent hit any glitches yet just making sure it runs before i put interior in.. I know the switches all hang up moved up and down to free some work now. Thanks again for any advice..

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

DoogieTroudt

Cadet

no threads it is the size of a nickle. 1/2 approx looks like a plastic radiator petcock hole kinda with smooth sides but a small rectangle hole deep inside. crazy how different these volvos are throught the years...

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

A hole in the block the size of a nickle without threads is a big problem! A picture would quickly answer the question at hand.

There are only a few differences between the B20 engines over the years and holes in the block are not among those.

DoogieTroudt

Cadet

here are some pics of the location. kinda hard to stick a blackberry in a dark place and take good pictures sorry for the quality:facepalm:Pueblo West-20110508-00016.jpgPueblo West-20110508-00017.jpgPueblo West-20110508-00015.jpgPueblo West-20110508-00018.jpgPueblo West-20110508-00019.jpg new to fourms hope it posts

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

That is the block drain connection and should be threaded. A petcock with an extension screws right in.

HPIM0829.jpg

The oil cooler drain petcock is just below that on the brass oil cooler outlet bell.

DoogieTroudt

Cadet

thats what the book and all the listings show.. mine has no thead. but it does have the oil cooler petcock.. well there must be a different set up i guess. if you look in to the hole 3/4 in there is a small rectangle opening. I think it must be for a radiator plug those plastick screw in maybee. crazy huh?? Well if no one else has a different idea soon I probably will tap it.. Thanks Everyone for the imput so far

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Might want to try to run a threaded pipe nipple in there before you start cutting metal. Not that the threads couldn't be buggered up, anything could have happened over the years. Just hate to see you permantly change things without making sure. At least try to chase the threads with the original size tap - 1/4" NPT.

DoogieTroudt

Cadet

Ok went out too take a look cleaned hole and no threads.. So I put a easyout in the hole and shure enought the treads were broke in the hole.. Thanks Alot otherwize i would have made it a bigger deal than it was!! Thanks Again!!!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Ouch!!!!
Let us know what you come up with for a fix. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

DoogieTroudt

Cadet

So there was only 3 good threads in the inside of the hole.. Here is what i did I got a 1/4 pipe nipple with 1/4 to 3/8 adapter so the 1/4 screws into the block then the adapter on the 1/4 nipple to 3/8. so I have 3/8 thread. What i did was use black pipe for the 1/4 nipple. ground and cleaned the block.. I used some 3m automix pannel bonder put some on threads then screwed in then i sealed up the remaining hole of the block.. Its on there for life now. No leaks!!! I use alot of that stuff to fix alot in autobody applications. infact its on my air compressors drain it had the same issue. Thanks Again!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear you found a solution and hope it stays put. Just remember that you still need a petcock on there in order to drain the block for the winter. The oil cooler drain doesn't drain the block.

DoogieTroudt

Cadet

whats the compression on the volvo b20 any way. I should check that before i go to far. stern is all rebuilt

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Compression spec is 170 to 200 lbs. Be aware that readings on an engine that has been sitting can be low due to rusty valve seats, glazed cylinder walls, leaky valve guides, or other things. Compression MIGHT come up after running it at temp several times as rings seat and valves settle in so don't get too dissapointed if readings are initially low.

Keep in mind that you're dealing with a lot of unknowns so all of the routine maintenance items like tuneup, engine and outdrive oil changes, impeller replacement, and lube of moving joints and bearings are in order. It's a really good idea to build or buy an outdrive pressure and vacuum tester so you can do those tests.

Pulling the upper gearbox after the tests is also recommended so you can check the condtion of the u-joints and bellows. These are normal maintenance items and will save big money if you identify and resolve problems before the parts fail.

DoogieTroudt

Cadet

I know it was stored with some fog oil. Oil pressure is at 40psi at idle with a oil pressure tester. The internal oil fil is clean no sludge ect.. I will check it out... I got from a good honest older guy. He said he got it new. Stored inside. But he had replaced the floor. Good work... I took out and Bedlined the whole inside then put floor back in. The cross braces were not rotted at all.. I know these setups can be expensive.... But i Think with a Budget of another 500 of interior and inspection ect parts should be good.. Just a good baseline to start.. Thanks For your advice.. My Grandfather had one of these I have a lot of memorys.. Cant tell ya how Luck can cross paths from the past when it comes to these old Glastrons.