170 volvo 1986 sea ray when warm ..starts hard then stalls

Tony 77

Recruit
First off, I want to say thank you all who posted answers to my questions a couple of weeks earlier. You were correct it was a spun coupler. but that led to quite a bit more work, had all the motor mounts replaced, needed alot of wood work and fiberglass repair, old wood had rotted out causing mounts to break, engine twist and viola spun coupler. $1400 later boat ran ok first time back out. Now new problem. Starts fine cold, but when you try to go into gear it spits as you give it gas and you really have to feather the throttle to keep it from stalling. This gets worse the longer I am out. Seems like it is running too rich and flooding out. Now yesterday it kept acting up to the point where I got it running fine crusing about 35 then burp belch it quit completely and would not restart acted like it was out of gas, which it wasn't...reminds me of vapor lock in car....any help would greatly appreciated, Thanks Tony

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 170 volvo 1986 sea ray when warm ..starts hard then stalls

Well since motor was just out, I would suggest you look over the simple things, such as wiring connections, cable adjustments, kinked fuel lines, and all the things that get touched when a motor is pulled and placed back in.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Tony, If it has a carb I would first suspect the choke not operating correctly.

fish393

Seaman Apprentice

Aq 170 engine?