1998 volvo penta 5.7 gsi heating up issue

dhh

Recruit
On my 1998 Four Winns volvo penta 5.7 gsi, i'm having intermittent overheating issues.
It happens after running the boat and idling down for a little bit. The temp gauge starts climbing and only goes back to normal when I put in neutral and rev engine. I have replaced the impeller, thermostat, baffles have been checked, outdrive pulled and inspected.
It doesn't do it all the time either. When pulling skiers and idling down it runs fine most of the time.
To me, it's almost like the engine gets too warm back in the compartment that Four Winns built around it.
Any Suggestions?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 volvo penta 5.7 gsi heating up issue

That motor box has nothing to do with the overheat.
Where you located?Profile? Salt or fresh?
Do the risers get too hot to touch when this happens?Baffles?What baffles,or flappers?Please explain.
You the second owner?Has it ever overheated?
Check the risers for blockage.Check the down tubes for flappers.Possible an older one melted and fell down the tube.
You run in shallow water a lot? possible sand in the block.Remove one drain plug at a time as you run the motor.Use a small scredriver to clean the holes.Won't hurt to run with these open.J

peejcj8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agree with above,

I had the same problem when my risers start clogging at the water outlets into the rubber bellows.

When I came off the throttle I woud also see the temp jump about 50 degrees.

Risers would also be hot to the touch, if only one is clogged, then that one would be hotter than the other.

dhh

Recruit

That motor box has nothing to do with the overheat.
Where you located?Profile? Salt or fresh?
Do the risers get too hot to touch when this happens?Baffles?What baffles,or flappers?Please explain.
You the second owner?Has it ever overheated?
Check the risers for blockage.Check the down tubes for flappers.Possible an older one melted and fell down the tube.
You run in shallow water a lot? possible sand in the block.Remove one drain plug at a time as you run the motor.Use a small scredriver to clean the holes.Won't hurt to run with these open.J

Yes, I bought the boat in 2009. It has done this since then. I've had it in two different boat shops where they flushed everything, they checked the down tube flappers when they pulled the outdrive.
I will check the block for sand as you indicated.
I am located in Utah. Freshwater. Sometimes I run in Utah Lake and it is about 10-12 feet deep. Risers don't feel to hot.
I'm getting ready to de-winterize and take it to the lake. I'm going to borrow a heat gun to test.
When I drained the block last fall, I didn't see any sand come out of the drain holes.
Where's the most accurate place to test with the heat gun? Right below the temp send unit or the block above the drain holes?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Where's the most accurate place to test with the heat gun? Right below the temp send unit

Ayuh,... The Hottest water in a motor is at the base of the T-stat housing...