4.3L Volvo torque specs and sequence for the exhaust manifolds and risers?

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone know the torque specs and sequence for the exhaust manifolds and risers for a 1997 4.3L Volvo Penta? I'm waiting for my manual, so in the meantime if someone has them it would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Also, do the gaskets require any gasket sealer or just go on dry? Any thread locker required?<br /><br />Almost there, can feel the spray on my face :cool: <br /><br />Thanks!

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4.3L Volvo torque specs and sequence for the exhaust manifolds and risers?

cp, check this page out.under tune up specs page three are torques.You probably have to use the size of the bolt to get the right #s. <br /> http://www.marinemechanic.com/volvo/volvo-home.htm <br />I wouldn't use gasket sealer or locktite, but i would use antiseize lube on the bolts. Go GO GO<br />Remember they are not heads being torqued they hold back water and exhaust gas and you don't want to risk breaking them.

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Torque on 3/8 diameter bolts should be about 30 to 35. No pattern needed, just be even with incremental steps to full torque. On those long riser bolts really careful use suggests letting them sit and unload their spring (a few minutes is fine)then checking torque again.<br /><br />Gasket on dry with all surfaces cleaned. That riser setup tends to have quite thin, and long, walls between the water and exhaust - be sure all surfaces are in good condition or don't bother mating them.<br /><br />Re-torque riser after it gets hot.<br /><br />Anti-seize on bolts is one of my personal pet peeves. Put it on the shaft so the bolts don't weld to the manifold or riser tunnels and I can see the point. Put it on the threads (where most folks will put it) and in my opinion you are asking for a leak due to bolt that won't hold its torque.<br /><br />Spray on face is an absolute requirement. Apply in liberal doses as often as possible until supply is gone.

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice

This post continued in "4.3L water in # 5 & 6 cyl and now won't stay running"<br /><br />Thanks.