Volvo 4.3 GL that hesitates during acceleration

kennebecer

Recruit
I own a 2005 Stingray with a V6 Volvo 4.3 GL carburated engine. Ever since it was new, this engine has had a bad hesitation during takeoff. It doesn't matter whether the boat is warm or cold. Boat starts great, drop it into gear and it will idle just fine. However, when you begin to throttle up, the boat will gag and hesitate to the point where it will almost stall. You have to ram the throttle through this hesitation point and the rest of the throttle progression is fine. Dealer has adjusted it twice saying the idle was too low once and the second time they redid all of the manufacturers settings for the carburator. HELP! I'm sick of this problem.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo 4.3 GL that hesitates during acceleration

Had the same thing in my 96 VP 4.3L GL with Holley 4 Barrel. Sounds like the problem is a bad ignition module, causing the advance to not work properly. Mechanic did everything to mine and we could not figure it out. Finally swapped out this part and the hesitation was gone. It is a 60 dollar part that sits just under the roter in the distributor. It controls the advance and if this is off or not working it will cause the issue you describe.

selmahotrod

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo 4.3 GL that hesitates during acceleration

It has done it since new. Do you think the module was bad when installed?