1988 Bayliner volvo 4 cylinder ignition issue

My ignition wont work...I can tap the positive to the prong and it will turn over when I move them away from the prong and try and use the key...nothing. all dash items work...bilge blower etc. just not the ignition. could it be this inline fuse or could it be the 12 volt 40 amp thing a ma bob. I dont know...I have a bayliner capri 1988 i/o volvo penta 4 cyle. The inline fuse looks bad coming from the wiring cluster about a 14 gauge wire with the marine connector for the fuse. the 12 volt 40 amp 4 prong that plugs in looks coroded I dont know, which is more likely? I just purchased the boat hoping to get her running good, great hull etc new interior, I want to drain the gas, any way to do so without removing the tank?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1988 Bayliner volvo 4 cylinder ignition issue

The inline fuse looks bad coming from the wiring cluster about a 14 gauge wire with the marine connector for the fuse. the 12 volt 40 amp 4 prong that plugs in looks coroded I dont know, which is more likely?

Clean them both up ........... You had to ask ????

I was asking which would be more likely to be the problem, but thanks for the help. I did not know if the inline fuse had anything to do with the ignition, or if the 12V 40A does...guess you dont either...thanks.

wow what a way to welcome a new member too Don S. didnt see until just now your a moderator. Thanks for the warm fuzzy welcome.

flamron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to iBoats! that better? :D

I had a relay on my old bayliner that would pop every spring when I started it up the first time. It is on the top of the motor to the right as you look at it, near the carb (I believe there was a red reset button as well). Pull it and take it to autozone or oreilly's and have them match up a new one. Should be from $6-15 if I recall correctly. (this may be the 40A you are describing as well - been a few years since I sold my bayliner)

And clean anything that looks corroded - both would be potential issues, so why not fix them both?

Thank you for the reply, I will replace both. Now the gas...is there an easy way to get it all out? First I/O I have owned on my own.

flamron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll defer to someone who successfully did it. I tried on mine and failed. Probably just didn't have the right tools.

captmello

Captain

wow what a way to welcome a new member too Don S. didnt see until just now your a moderator. Thanks for the warm fuzzy welcome.

I would ask that my membership fee be returned immediately!!;)

I think the easiest way to remove the old gas is to buy a cheap electric fuel pump and hook it to the fuel line coming from the tank. Pump it into a can.:)

I would ask that my membership fee be returned immediately!!;)

I think the easiest way to remove the old gas is to buy a cheap electric fuel pump and hook it to the fuel line coming from the tank. Pump it into a can.:)

Yes, I demand a full refund! or perhaps a better moderator...found he is very helpful to others who may know what they are talking about....sorry I am not a boat mechanic, just a fun project for me and my son.

captmello

Captain

99% of us are not mechanics. That's why we come here.

Father son projects are some of the best projects.

I was curious about your boat, most of the Bayliners we're using OMC drivetrains by 1988, not Volvos.

Anyway, Good luck with it.:)

flamron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

99% of us are not mechanics. That's why we come here.

Father son projects are some of the best projects.

I was curious about your boat, most of the Bayliners we're using OMC drivetrains by 1988, not Volvos.

Anyway, Good luck with it.:)

You are buying the wrong bayliners then. :)

Mine had the aq125 4 cylinder in it. Probably as hard to get parts for it as an omc.

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also check your shifter interlock....the boat will not turn over unless you have it in neutral, sometimes the switch that controls this craps out. Jiggle the throttle, while trying to crank it, make sure its in neutral....

I had this problem with my capri and it turned out to be the starter relay. Replaced mine with an automotive unit, sealed it up really well with some silicone.

If you pull the starter relay, there will be 4 sockets...two of these are the 12 volts that power the relay, the other two are switched together when the relay energizes. You can do two things here, put a meter on two sockets that supply the coil and verify that you are getting 12 volts when the key switch is turned to start. This could rule out the neutral safety switch.

Then you can put a jumper across the sockets that are switched and if the motor cranks at that point, you know you have a bad relay.

As for which is which...on mine the coil side was the perpendicular set, and the switch side was the pair that were parallel across from each other, but I dont think mine was original when I got it so who knows. You could probe with a meter and check which pair gets 12 volts with the key switch on start. need a helper for this. the other two would be the ones you can jump to crank it.

Ok, More headaches with bayliner ignition.

Ok, More headaches with bayliner ignition.

Well guys, I replaced the inline fuse, I replaced the 12 v 40 amp, while doing this I noticed there is a little red button with a 40 on it. that button seems to be pushed in but I dont know. I looked under the dash at the fuses there and the third over from the left if your laying under the boat I believe is the ignition, but there is no wire going to it...should there be? also the ignition is a 3 stage interupter...off accessorie and ignition. I replaced that. I am considering rewiring the whole ignition. Now I can jump the solenoid and the motor will crank but I can not get the ignition to work.

Here is what I do know. Going from the front to the back. The ignition has 3 wires coming from the back...battery which I know works because the second wire is accessorie and they all work...ignition does not work. The wire coming off for ignition is a yellow wire with a red stripe. This yellow wire runs to the throttle cuts off there to two green wires which I assume is the neutral safety switch, this wire then runs to the rear of the boat and seems to splice into the wiring harness. From there the wire seems to go to a cluster of wires which goes into the 40 v 12 amp over to the fuse and down to the starter. Notes: the under dash fuse panel has an IGN which I assume is ignition but there is not a wire going up to the ignition itself from this. Note: the red button that says 40 I assume is pushed in but I do not know.

Help?!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Ok, More headaches with bayliner ignition.

Re: Ok, More headaches with bayliner ignition.

Well guys, I replaced the inline fuse, I replaced the 12 v 40 amp, while doing this I noticed there is a little red button with a 40 on it. that button seems to be pushed in but I dont know. I looked under the dash at the fuses there and the third over from the left if your laying under the boat I believe is the ignition, but there is no wire going to it...should there be? also the ignition is a 3 stage interupter...off accessorie and ignition. I replaced that. I am considering rewiring the whole ignition. Now I can jump the solenoid and the motor will crank but I can not get the ignition to work.

Here is what I do know. Going from the front to the back. The ignition has 3 wires coming from the back...battery which I know works because the second wire is accessorie and they all work...ignition does not work. The wire coming off for ignition is a yellow wire with a red stripe. This yellow wire runs to the throttle cuts off there to two green wires which I assume is the neutral safety switch, this wire then runs to the rear of the boat and seems to splice into the wiring harness. From there the wire seems to go to a cluster of wires which goes into the 40 v 12 amp over to the fuse and down to the starter. Notes: the under dash fuse panel has an IGN which I assume is ignition but there is not a wire going up to the ignition itself from this. Note: the red button that says 40 I assume is pushed in but I do not know.

Help?!

Ayuh,... Yer workin' on What,..??