volvo AQ 120 B How good is it?

slimerocket

Recruit
Recently a freind gave ne a 1978 17" Bayliner Mutiny with a Volvo AQ 120 B. The tilt/trim is shot, I am told and the engine will get hot when pulling a load. <br /><br />I am considering pulling the motor and having it gone through and fixing up the boat. <br /><br />Does anyone have opinions on the AQ 120 motor. Are there good and bad thing that typically happen to this motor? How extensive should or could a person go on an overhaul and what is important to do?<br /><br />I appreciate any and all replies as I am a rookie when it comes to Marine engines.<br /><br />Thanks! :confused:

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: volvo AQ 120 B How good is it?

Hi slimerocket,<br /><br />Bayliner issue aside, I like the VP although they don't seem too popular these days. The 120a is basically a marinised volvo car engine coupled to(probably) a 270 or 280 leg.<br /><br />The motor & outdrive are built well and are reliable although after 26 years its not unusual to have the problems you describe.<br /><br />Its only a 2.1L motor so don't expect break neck performance but the price is right :D (he gave it to you?)<br /><br />Aldo

placebo

Seaman

Slimerocket, I agree with Aldo, these motor/outdrive units are darn near bulletproof, but have their limitations. The outdrive tilt units are prone to problems, especially with age, but most problems are with the 12 volt motor that runs the tilt mechanism. They can be rebuilt with parts that are available still. The biggest problem with the tilt motors is a bad ground or low battery voltage once the motor has been repaired.<br /><br />David.<br /><br />1972 Glastron with 170AQ

slimerocket

Recruit

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the input.<br /><br />The tilt is not working and I have yet to dig into and find out why. I am going to clear space in my garage and start cleaning things up a bit. I had heard that I could put a piece of clear plastic hose inline to watch for air bubbles that may be a factor in overheating.

slimerocket

Recruit

Yes I did get it as a gift so I geuss if it is free than I should be able to put some time and money into it as long a it has something worth rebuilding.