Replacing a Volvo 290 sp outdrive with a 280

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Houseboat

Recruit
I just removed a 290 Outdrive and discovered the u joints were siezed, water in the oil, etc... I have a 280 outdrive in good condition, the 280 is complete with steering fork and it looks like it would bolt right up to the transom assembly. My question is twofold, Would this work AND can I just leave the Hydraulic cylinders in place without attaching them to the steering fork as the 280 fork is a little different from the 290 assembly....Both these units were mated to a GM 5.7l engine AND this boat has two outdrives the starboard side would be a 290 and the port side would be the 280 I am thinking of putting in. The trim/tilt never worked anyhow and I would not be losing that in this replacement???

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing a Volvo 290 sp outdrive with a 280

The 280 and 290's have different H forks on the intermediate housing, the gimbal housing is different, and the tilt system is completely different. The 280 has electro mechanical tilt only (no trim) and the 290 uses hydraulic cyliners.
In other words, they are not interchangeable.

Tom Houseboat

Recruit

The 280 and 290's have different H forks on the intermediate housing, the gimbal housing is different, and the tilt system is completely different. The 280 has electro mechanical tilt only (no trim) and the 290 uses hydraulic cyliners.
In other words, they are not interchangeable.

Thanks for the response...Will the 280 upper gear unit bolt to the 290????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes the upper and the lower can be installed onto the 280 intermediate section. One note, the the upper and lower units will both have to be reshimmed where they attach to the intermediate housing. if you do use the lower unit, you need to keep the bearing races for the vertical shaft to their respective bearing, DO NOT mix them up.

Here is a link to the oem manual download,, you will need it.
http://www.4shared.com/file/48536730/fa3b3311/280_to_DP-C_Drive_manual.html

Status
Not open for further replies.