Volvo penta 280 plug? What the heck is this thing?

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I'm refurbing the upper of a volvo penta 280. It's got a big circular "plug" that looks like it's unnaturaly punched through in the center. What the heck does this thing do? Do I need to patch the puncture hole with JB weld?

photo.jpg

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo penta 280 plug? What the heck is this thing?

Are you talking about the fill plug, upper right corner? looks like someone already JB welded it in place. Does the hole go all the way through?

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Hmmm I tried to post back but I think it got lost..

Anyway, yes! thasts it! Any idea what it does? the puncture goes all the way through... Am i saf sealing it with JB weld, or should I replace it?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Replace it,J B is good for repairing things that cant be replaced, buy a new one.

captmello

Captain

Thats really odd. Why would the plug be jb welded in the casing? Stripped threads??? And why the hole???

Please follow up and let us know what you...discover.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That plug is the oil fill.It should be replaced.J

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys, yup. Found out it's the oil fill. Looks like the pitting had caused the previous owner some issues and it may have been leaking, so he just JB Welded it. Strangely enough, when I disassembled the drive, I didnt have milkshake oil. I guess eveyting was sealed well!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Who knows why someone used the JB to seal the plug. Maybe they didn't have a new gasket but had a tube of "magic fixit stuff" that would do the job :). Once you replace the plug and use a new gasket, probably best to do a pressure test just to make sure the threads aren't messed up and you actually get a good seal.