volvo penta aq125a distributor help need a new one

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice
hi there i need the experts help or anyone my distributor went on my bayliner the springs broke and chewed out the rest so my question is where can i find a new one or used one? ebay has none right now and new here is like 800.00 does anybody have a used one they want to sell i live in vancouver canada. my other question is can i use the one from the volvo car ones b21 engine or are these no good.thanks guys any help is good .:(

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice
Re: volvo penta aq125a distributor help need a new one

i was told i can take the springs and plates from a volvo 242 and place them on this one i might do that does anyone not reomend i do this? i took the broken springs out there is just a bit of sctatches on the inner walls but i don't think it will affect the way the dizzy performs but if anybody has any suggestions i will take anything right now thanks..what sucks is that i was just about to convert to the hotspark elect. ignition when this happened what a bomber..lol. fml.

Last edited:

captmello

Captain

My understanding on replacing springs is that you should have the distributer run on a machine that tests the advance. Even if the springs are made for that dist., it should be tested and set up correctly on a machine that is not used very often these days. I would spend some time on the phone calling around to try to find someone with one of these machines who knows how to use one. Otherwise your engine may not perform correctly and you could risk damaging your motor.

So the answer is yes, you can replace the springs, but theres a little more to it.

Good luck!!

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice

thanks i will ask around to see if i can find out more about it..

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, i saw the dizzy section but there was no internal parts or part numbers for the springs.. is there anybody out there selling these spring kits i mean there's gotta be a site somewhere? i hate my life..lol jk. my distributor looks very simple i don't see how it would be tested is it for the resistance on the springs? im not sure..

captmello

Captain

thanks, i saw the dizzy section but there was no internal parts or part numbers for the springs.. is there anybody out there selling these spring kits i mean there's gotta be a site somewhere? i hate my life..lol jk. my distributor looks very simple i don't see how it would be tested is it for the resistance on the springs? im not sure..

If you can find someone who knows how to set up distributers and has a machine to do the job correctly, you can use any spring. It doesn't have to be the OEM spring. From what I've heard, even if you found an OEM spring set, you should test it on one of these old school machines. The machine shows the amount of advance as the RPM increases. Or look for a used distributer and take your chances.

Here's one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volv...oatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_500wt_865

Did you call around to see if anyone in your area can do it for you? I'd be curious what it cost, or if anyone still does it.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

There is this company out of the Netherlands that makes a complete fully electronic distributor for your engine, which even utilizes the original cap and rotor.
http://www.123ignition.nl/id/46.html

They list Volvo Penta as a possible use for the distributor, problem is I don't know if it's U.S.C.G. approved.

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice

Cool, that place isn't too far from me. Doesn't help the OP however...But it's nice to know there are guys still out there fixing distributors.

thanks guy i just bought the one on ebay for 75.00 i called a bunch of places most don't carry it and the one that did has to order it and the price before taxes is a small 1875.00plus tax so i hope this one works good i will keep you guys posted as soon as i get it and install it with the hotspark ignition swwweeeettt...........thanks captmelllo

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Couple of things to keep in mind:
Check the advance with a timing light and make sure it does in fact advance according tp the manual.
Follow the directions for the hot spark unit. Don't reverse polarity and don't leave it turned on for extended periods of time without the engine running. Believe me, dumb mistakes will cost you $49.99 plus shipping (and maybe a litle embarrassment)!

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice

Couple of things to keep in mind:
Check the advance with a timing light and make sure it does in fact advance according tp the manual.
Follow the directions for the hot spark unit. Don't reverse polarity and don't leave it turned on for extended periods of time without the engine running. Believe me, dumb mistakes will cost you $49.99 plus shipping (and maybe a litle embarrassment)!

no worries i will, i installed one on my friends 83 bayliner and we got the points one going first had the engine warm and than we installed the hotspark and timed it again sice the timing moved quite a bit. i do have one question tho since i use 87 octane mostly the timing calls for 10 dtc but i read that it should be at 4 dtc for 87octane? just wondering.

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice

sweet guys i got the new distributor three days ago i serviced it and just put it in yesterday it sounds awsome and it runs better than ever.i'm gonna test it tomorrow i just wanted to say thanks to alll you guys for the support this forum rules.....................cheers

RogersJetboat454

Commander

sweet guys i got the new distributor three days ago i serviced it and just put it in yesterday it sounds awsome and it runs better than ever.i'm gonna test it tomorrow i just wanted to say thanks to alll you guys for the support this forum rules.....................cheers

Glad to hear.
Always nice when you can fix something cheaper than expected, and even better when the result is that she runs the best she ever has.

Keep that old Volvo running!