Volvo Penta SX Tilt Trim

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2007 Volvo Penta sx-a drive and have had numerous issues with my power tilt trim. It was replaced after the first three months under warranty and lasted about two years. The whole unit mounts to the gimble housing on the lower starboard side...under the waterline. It has quit on me 3 times...it leaks water and in my case, salt water. The seal between the case and housing leaks and allows salt water to enter. The pump itself is fine, but the motor is now FUBAR. As far as I know, I can't get a new motor alone. I have to buy the whole unit from the dealer for $650.

I have seen a lot of motors on eBay and some look like they may fit, but unless I can put my hands on them I can't be sure. I don't like the design, but I'd be willing to try it again with a better attempt at sealing it up.

I also thought about retrofitting a mercruiser pump unit inside the engine compartment, but I don't know how possible this is. It looks like I'd have to be creative with getting lines to interface, not to mention reducing from 4 lines(two for each ram) to two lines that go into the pump. Then, I still have to find a way to get the lines through the hull. Ugh, it's a nightmare.

If anyone has had this problem, please let me know what your solution was.
Thanks!

potlick

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta SX Tilt Trim

I'm exactly in the same situation you are sir, I have a SX outdrive, the trim quit working, found if I tapped on trim housing I could get it working again temporarily. I removed my housing cover & alot of water drained out. Pump's all rusted. Cleaned up the 1st time & installed new seal with RTV but trim continued to be intermittent. The 2nd time I removed it there was no water inside, I took it to a local shop that was recommended by my Volvo dealer but the shop was no help. So I cleaned it yet again & sprayed it all over with Corrosion X which is some good stuff & installed another new seal with high hopes that it would work but it's still intermittent. I cant find just the motor either, looks like I gonna have to pay Volvo $826.97 for a whole new unit. I know I've said pretty much the same thing you have but I feel a little better by getting this out. If you come across a solution please let me know.

tedavids

Recruit

db Electric on eBay sells trim motors for volvo pentas for around $100 and they have nearly 100% customer satisfaction with thousands of purchases. It may be worth a try and there is a 14 day return poicy if it doesn't bolt up. I pulled my trim motor and cleaned it up as well. It wasn't submerged but I suspect my fix is temporary so I priced a new one for my 2003 SX at $112. I haven't bought it yet but I'm seriously considering it.

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. The problem with the SX-A(?) is that it first came on the market in 2006. Because of 7 yr patent laws they haven't started making aftermarket trim motors. Unless I am wrong, we are screwed by VP's ingenious idea to mount the tilt trim motor below the waterline. Thanks again, Volvo.

I have had so many problems with VP that I will never buy another. I am seriously considering tearing the whole outdrive off and replacing it with Mercruiser. Shouldn't be hard and I should be able to buy the Merc components for less than I sell the VP stuff. Hopefully I will make enough to break even after buying the controls and tilt trim motor too.