volvo penta 4.3 carb throttle hesitation

kennebecer

Recruit
I have a 2005 volvo penta 4.3 gl carburated V6 that is coupled with an volvo penta SX outdrive. Since it was new I have experienced throttle hesitation problems when attempting to accelerate from the point where the throttle is engaged in forward at the lowest rpm and then the throttle is advanced. The engine will all but die, but if you quickly advance the throttle through this point, then the boat will accelerate smoothly throughout the rest of the throttle range. It does this when the boat is hot or cold. I've tried changing fuel filter, ethanol treatments, and a variety of fuel at different octances from different sources. Help.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: volvo penta 4.3 carb throttle hesitation

I have a 2005 volvo penta 4.3 gl carburated V6 that is coupled with an volvo penta SX outdrive. Since it was new I have experienced throttle hesitation problems when attempting to accelerate from the point where the throttle is engaged in forward at the lowest rpm and then the throttle is advanced. The engine will all but die, but if you quickly advance the throttle through this point, then the boat will accelerate smoothly throughout the rest of the throttle range. It does this when the boat is hot or cold. I've tried changing fuel filter, ethanol treatments, and a variety of fuel at different octances from different sources. Help.

Sounds like a problem with the carb. Either it is out of adjustment or it needs a rebuild. At 6 years old, you may want to get it rebuilt by a marine mechanic. Could be a problem with mixture or with the accelerator pump.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: volvo penta 4.3 carb throttle hesitation

Could be a problem with mixture or with the accelerator pump.

Ayuh,... Agreed...