Volvo AQ131/275 outdrive not pulling water

mohavafish

Recruit
leak2.jpgleak1.jpgIMAG0110.jpgIMAG0112.jpgNew user here and I thank you for letting me ask these questions. I have an 83' Bayliner Capri with an AQ131 engine and 275 outdrive. I have been having an overheating issue for a while now. we have replaced the seawater pump (with a kit) and hose to outdrive. Now I have found the true issue but the local shop wants 500.00 to do the work. I would like to fix it myself and have access to a full boat shop, (son's have a Jet boat shop but don't do outboard prop boats). The problem is the plastic tube seal below the freshwater hose housing has several pinholes in it. now I have been told it requires a press which I can use but I cannot seem to find a decent breakdown on the 275 outdrive. I was told the manual for the 280 will work but after going through that one I'm even more confused. My 275 does not look like the 280. should I just pay the shop? 500 seems a bit pricey but the other shops in town don't want to touch a Volvo. What to do What to do. Any help would be appriciated.

mohavafish

Recruit
Re: Volvo AQ131/275 outdrive not pulling water

I got an answer to this at BOC so this thread can be closed. I will post the answer for anyone also having a simular issue. It seems the price I was quoted at 500.00 us was actually reasonable concidering the work entailed and I quote

"The plastic bushing (p/n 814388) that you are speaking of, is the upper pivot tube bushing.
Being somewhat worn, poses no actual issues with the drive itself. The drive could go for years more without any real negative effects.
However, when this bushing becomes worn, the pivot tube now oscillates, and no longer remains centered in the critical water neck fitting special "beaded" gasket. Now we have a suction breach..... hence the over-heating that you have experienced.

The bushing replacement involves complete removal of the transmission, lower unit and Intermediate housing............ and in that order.
Then Intermediate Housing/Main Suspension fork must be disassembled by carefully removing the pivot tube (it will be soft and cannot become damaged at either end).

This work takes you pretty darn deep into this drive disassembly.
You may as well plan on doing other work if in this far.
Drive bellows.
Universal shaft bearing crosses.
Water Neck fitting and gasket.
Shift cable????
Rev Latch work.
Lower pivot tube needle bearing cage/seals.
All O-rings. "

so as you can imagine the quote was indeed reasonable if I want it done in a timely manner in order to enjoy our boat this summer.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo AQ131/275 outdrive not pulling water

Yea $500 is good.Volvos can be very expensive.J