Volvo DPE-E cable issue/ prop direction

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the engine and drive are fitted, but i wanted to keep my nice shiny Mercontrol ( looks and feels much better than the plastic Volvo one that came with the doner boat)

Having established with your help the direction of prop rotation for forward, i now find that when i push the Mercontrol forward the cable pulls, this is opposite to the Volvo remote.

Do we know why the Volvo manual stipulates that that
"the control CABLE must push out to select forward"
and "pull for reverse"
looking at the mechanics of it i cant see that it makes any difference other than I have to buy a complete new remote control to achieve this?
When I push my remote forward the cable becomes shorter, so pulling rather than pushing,

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo DPE-E cable issue/ prop direction

but i wanted to keep my nice shiny Mercontrol

Ayuh,... I donno which controller you have,...
But,...
Many, if not most, have 2 sets of cable attachment points...
1 set to pull, 'n another set to push...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

but i wanted to keep my nice shiny Mercontrol

I looked in my manuals for "nice shiny Mercontrol" but couldn't find it listed. Suppose you could post a picture of that model?

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked in my manuals for "nice shiny Mercontrol" but couldn't find it listed. Suppose you could post a picture of that model?
mercon.JPGDSC00179mercontrol.jpg

At least you found some humor in my follies! many thanks

Don S

Those are old. like mid seventies. Sorry, but those can't be changed over to go the opposite direction.

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok Don, Thank you for the information, as it stands on the trailer it all works fine, i can change the direction of rotation by the lever on the DPE gear selector,
but i am worried by Volvo insisting that the cable pushes to select forward, do i run the risk that it wont come out of gear when its in the water?

Don S

Do not change the direction on the drive. It has to do with the direction of the shift cone. Changing it will probably cause it to slip since it's a DP. Use the Volvo controls or by a new "Shiny" one that goes the right direction.

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do not change the direction on the drive. It has to do with the direction of the shift cone. Changing it will probably cause it to slip since it's a DP. Use the Volvo controls or by a new "Shiny" one that goes the right direction.

Ok, will do, many thanks for your time.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

I don't agree with that. Changing at the drive to use his control shouldn't cause any problems. Its just a cable push/pull thing. As long as he gets the cable adjustment right.

Don S

I don't agree with that. Changing at the drive to use his control shouldn't cause any problems. Its just a cable push/pull thing. As long as he gets the cable adjustment right.

Just repeating what the VP rep told me when I asked the same question years ago during a repower. I guess they could be wrong.