New Volvo Penta SX-A drive Tilt Trim problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2007 Larson 180 Sport with a Volvo Penta 3.0 SX-A outdrive. I am having trouble with the power tilt trim unit. On this perticular model, the motor, pump and reservoir are mounted below the water line on the gimble housing. When the boat was 3 months old (still under waranty), they replaced the whole unit. I didn't ask many questions, because it didn't cost anything.

Since then, the motor quit several times. I am mechanically inclined, so I tore it apart to find water inside the motor. I fixed it 3 times, until the motor finally burned up to the point of no repair ( and Im the guy who tries to fix it until it is way gone). A new unit from VP is $650 and they don't make an after market unit yet. I thought about just replacing the motor, but I can't put my hands on all of the options available on eBay to find a sure fit. Also, it would most likely fail due to water intrusion.

Now, I am contemplating retrofitting a Mercruiser pump unit. I want to install the merc unit inside the boat, then run the lines outside to the manifold. From there, I may have to have special lines built with ends that will adapt for the VP rams. It will be costly, but more of a reliable fix. The only problem I am having now is figuring out where to run the lines through the transom. THoughts?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Volvo Penta SX-A drive Tilt Trim problem

if you want that boat to be worth anything when it comes time to sell or trade, you better get the OEM pump.

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Volvo Penta SX-A drive Tilt Trim problem

why not get the OEM motor and figure out why your getting water in the system

Status
Not open for further replies.