Volvo/OMC Cobra SX Bellows Kit???

jclarke2899

Seaman
I have a 98 Four Winns Horizon RS with a 5.0GL charcoal engine. My outdrive says Volvo Penta SX Cobra on it and has a product number of 3868856, and a gear ratio of 1.60. The volvo penta store has tons of different SX drives, none of the nomenclature which I recognize. I love my boat and have had very few problems, other than finding parts as this was during the joint venture between OMC and Volvo, and it seems some parts are OMC and some are Volvo, making it confusing as heck!

I'm just trying to find exactly which Bellows kit I will need when I pull the drive to lubricate u-joints, bearing, etc. I don't know when the last time these were replaced, so figured it would be a fine time while I'm in there, and then I have a spare in case of emergency. I have found two Sierra kits online that are close, but not sure which it would be. One is 18-2772-1 and the other is 18-2771, both which come with the gimbal bearing. Is it necessary or smart to replace the gimbal bearing while in there as well or should I just look for the bellows only (cheaper)? I haven't had any trouble with the drive as of yet. I know I'm to check alignment as well and my alignment tool is in the mail. Hope to do this procedure after I return from a two week business trip, and would like all my parts waiting for me.

Thanks for any help!