2000 Volvo Penta 4.3 GL Spewing Water and Oil From Top of Engine

diejarjardie

Cadet
Howdy Y'all,

I've enjoyed reading the forums here, they are very informative. I never thought I would have to post for help, at least not for this type of problem, but here it goes:

I have a 2000 Larson 186 Lxi that I have had for 4 years. I have done all the pm myself including winterizing. It was really nice this weekend here in Austin, so I thought I would pull the boat out, de-winterize and go for ride on the lake.

I put the battery back in, checked all the fluids, hooked it up to the hose and it cranked right up. I walked around to the outdrive to make sure it was pulling water in, and that water was coming out and noticed a little stream of milky, oily water coming out of the bilge. I then looked at the engine and milky oil was oozing out from under the carb cover and had covered the entire top of the engine. (Please see attached picture). It had been running about 5 minutes.

After reading other posts, I have the following questions that I need help with.

1. How can I isolate where the raw water is leaking into the oil?
2. Will a cracked intake manifold allow water into the engine oil?
3. Will I be able to eyeball the intake manifold once it is off the engine and see cracks, or do you have to test it somehow?
4. Could a leaking intake manifold gasket cause this problem?

Thanks for your help and let me know if you need more information.

manifold_leak.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Volvo Penta 4.3 GL Spewing Water and Oil From Top of Engine

The answer to most of your suggestions is - Yes. Did you think to check the dipstick to see just how full the engine really is? Did you check the engine oil before you actually began this trip? When you winterized, I'm guessing you did not do it correctly and you now have a cracked head or block due to the water that was trapped somewhere. Was the engine ever overheated??

Bondo

Staff member

2. Will a cracked intake manifold allow water into the engine oil?
3. Will I be able to eyeball the intake manifold once it is off the engine and see cracks, or do you have to test it somehow?
4. Could a leaking intake manifold gasket cause this problem?

Yes, Yes, 'n Yes....

diejarjardie

Cadet

Thank you for your responses.

It looks like I've got some work to do before the season starts.

diejarjardie

Cadet

I plugged up the cooling system and pumped air into it and could hear a leak from the top of the engine. I pulled off the intake manifold and was able to spot the crack immediately.

The lifter valley was filled with a milky goo as you can see in the picture. I've also include a picture of the cracked manifold.

Cracked Intake Manifold
photo(6).jpg

Milky Goo
photo(7).jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You will soon be wondering why your expensive fuel hose is leaking.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 16

diejarjardie

Cadet

Thanks for the heads-up.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That Sucks, all the way around,....

looks like a new long block, at a minimum...

That's why Drainin' 'em in the fall is a minimalist winterization...

Ya Gotta do it....

diejarjardie

Cadet

I got everything put back together and was out on Lake Travis on Saturday. Thanks again for your help. I got the new intake manifold from marineenginedepot.com and the gaskets from michiganmotorz.com. They sent the right parts out the first time.

Bondo

Staff member

I got everything put back together and was out on Lake Travis on Saturday. Thanks again for your help. I got the new intake manifold from marineenginedepot.com and the gaskets from michiganmotorz.com. They sent the right parts out the first time.

Ayuh,... Glad to hear it,... So it was Just the intake,..??

How do you Winterize,..??
What went Wrong,..??

For future references/ searchers,..?? ;)

diejarjardie

Cadet

Howdy,

It was just the intake manifold. I had never drained the intake manifold to winterize, I only drained the block and the exhaust manifolds. This will be the forth winter I have had the boat and I never had an issue with it before.

It was cold enough, long enough this winter in Austin for it matter this year though.

Thanks.

2003lsr

Seaman Apprentice

diejarjardie, how did you clean the engine out? What did you use to flush the milkshake out?

diejarjardie

Cadet

Howdy 2003lsr,

When the intake manifold was off, I scooped it out out by hand until there was none left. After I assembled the motor, I pumped as much as would come out of the dipstick tube.

I then changed the filter and and topped it off with the lightest weight motor oil they had down at Autozone.

I started it and ran it until it was hot and then changed the oil and filter again with the recommended 30 weight oil.

I have since been out to the lake a couple of times and initially the oil was still a little milky, but now after running it a few hours it is nice and clear.

Good luck with whatever issue you are having.

2003lsr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a bunch diejarjardie! I may well be having the same issue as you. Happened to my 2003 Regal, Volvo Penta 4.3 GL-C last Sunday. Cranked up fine, idled out of the no-wake zone, then hit the throttle. Didn't get 1,000 yards down the lake, and it bogged down, and finally stalled. Opened the hood and saw what appeared to be a milkshake poured on top of the intake manifold. It was our first trip out since winterizing. It's possible that my intake manifold is cracked. I had no idea it had a drain plug (not listed in the operator's manual). Anyhow, there is oil/water mix in the cylinders, carburetor, port-side exhaust riser, and as mentioned, on the intake manifold. I'll be performing the necessary repairs myself, so I have been reading all I can on possible causes. I appreciate the information you (and everyone) have posted on here. Disassemby will begin tommorow to investigate the cause of water intrusion. I'll post updates as I find the problem.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I think there is a square plug on the front edge of the manifold of later 4.3s that has to be removed, I know my old 88 does not have that but the newer (Vortec) engines may have it, apparently the manifold will not drain with the block drains and removing the lower end of the big hose from the thermo housing to the water pump neck....

http://www.marinemechanic.com/omc/4155.htm

2003lsr

Seaman Apprentice

Lou C, you are correct about there being a plug on the 4.3GL intake manifold. It's just behind the alternator tensioning bracket. I'm at a stopping point in disassembly right now. Distributor holddown clamp (it is held in place by a 7/32 hex tamper proof screw). I checked 3 automotive stores, ACE hardware, Home Depot, and Lowes yesterday with no luck finding the wrench I need. I called a Marine shop, and was told by the mechanic it's a special Torx bit. I did not argue the fact that it is definitely a Hex. Anyhow, I'll find another way to remove the bolt. Just to be clear though; I don't yet know what caused my water intrusion. Once I remove the intake manifold I'll be able to inspect it, and the block around the lifters. Compression test, prior to starting disassembly revealed 210 in the #1 cylinder. I did not continue because I figured the high reading was being caused by the liquid in the cylinder. More to follow.
(Update: the tool for the distributor holddown clamp is p/n 888863- 7/32 offset tamper allen wrench.)
And yes, it was just my intake manifold cracked due to freezing. Installed new one and flushed motor oil).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

2003lsr You should really start your own thread with your engine and your questions.

2003lsr

Seaman Apprentice

Copy that Don S. Don't really have any more questions at this time, but I'm sure I will in the future. Thanks a bunch!