Volvo DP-S Trim Sender Part Number?

jimduncan1

Cadet
Hi,

Hope someone could help with a VP trim sender part number question.

My outdrive is a DP-S, serial 4202152551 and transom assy 4151104765.

A label on the sender wiring reads 3840830, however I cannot find this number referenced anywhere in any Volvo diagrams or suppliers website.

Would anyone know what the correct part number for this (2-wire) trim sender is?

The background: I believe that I need to replace my trim sender because the digital reading works normally while trimming up from -5 to +8 then immediately jumps to +50 (normally should be +38 max) and stays there until the cycle stops. On trimming down stays at +50 and then suddendly goes to +8 and downwards again to -5.

Thanks for looking.

jimduncan1

Cadet
Re: Volvo DP-S Trim Sender Part Number?

Hi Don,

Unfortunately, I am unable to access this site as I am in Europe and the local sites here are not as good as in the USA.

This is the message I get when I click on your link: "The Volvo Penta Online Store is only accessible to visitors located in the United States**. Please contact your local dealer for information concerning Genuine Volvo Penta parts".

You wouldn't know what the part number is by any chance or suggest any other option to identify this part number?

Thanks in advance!

jimduncan1

Cadet

Hi Don,

Thanks for the link, I'm just a little nervous shelling out the $$$ given that the label on the wiring reads 3840830 and not the part number listed on the marinepartseurope linked diagram (3594989).

The fact that the label on the existing trim sender has a different part number has me still in a bit of a quandry, just wondering whether there are any variants/replacements or whether I should take it that the SX and DPS trim senders are the same/fully interchangeable? And whether the US Volvo website show the same info as the marinepartseurope website?

Regards,

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They have changed that part many times and they change the part number when they change the part design.

Personally, I will not replace mine the next time it fails.

jimduncan1

Cadet

Bruce,

Agreed it's a problem and hard to justify the cost when considering the reliability of the unit. However the other problem which accompanies the trim sender failure is that the trim stop feature now does not work - in other words the drive continues to lift beyond it's normal stopping point until it reaches the swim platform!!! So operation from the helm is a bit blind given that the readout doesn't work and unless a second person watching from the transom calls stop to the helmsman I'd be concerned about 'over-beaching'.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So operation from the helm is a bit blind given that the readout doesn't work and unless a second person watching from the transom calls stop to the helmsman I'd be concerned about 'over-beaching'.

I never did have a gauge with my older model DP. Wasn't that big a deal, and you don't need someone watching over the transom.
Basically, without moving the throttle, watch the rpm and speed. If you trim to high, your speed will drop and the rpms will increase. Trim too low, and your speed will drop along with your rpm. Trim just right, and you have max speed and max rpm. If the boat porpoises, trim it down a click at a time till it stops and you have the best speed and rpm.
With the DP, you want to be at the very lowest possible trim with best rpm and speed to prevent cavitation burn on the props.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When I beach, the drive never gets very high before I am turning the engine off. I am also never watching the gauge when I beach. I am too busy looking for rocks and anyone who is helping me look for things is on the bow looking.

jimduncan1

Cadet

Thanks for your replies...

Just in case anyone else has this problem and to close out on this thread, it does turn out that the part number that I was looking for which was 3840830 is actually 3594989.

The frustrating part is that it (3840830) was that it was not 'searchable' in the local VP service group's computer system by that number nor could it be found by the transom number. So gleaning the number from the part itself did not help.

I must say however that the local VP agent was excellent and brought in several trim senders in order to physically match up the part - without his help I'd still be looking!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Like I said before, the part# gets changed when they change the design. They change the design becuase they keep on failing and which is why I will never change mine again.