Volvo Cobra SX-C1 has oil in UJoint bellows

MontereyJak

Cadet
I've got a 96 Volvo Penta SX Cobra. I pulled the drive for my first time today. Inside the UJoint bellows is an oil puddle. I see lots of grease on the gimble bearing, and i'm guessing is from overuse of the grease zerk on the outside on the housing. The outside area of the bellows is very clean, and see no signs of oil leaking out from the bellows, which tells me there are no holes in the bellows. I see no signs of water or moisture inside anywhere. The area around the yoke seal on the drive is clean. The gear oil in the drive is clean (no milky color). The engine oil is clean and never have to add any oil anywhere, unless I'm changing it. The question is: Where is the oil puddle coming from? Can the gimble grease turn into liquid?? Attaching a picture, where you can see the reflection in the oil puddle of the bearing..

Attachments

• DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 0

MontereyJak

Cadet
Re: Volvo Cobra SX-C1 has oil in UJoint bellows

For clarification, are you referring to the pinion bearing seal in the pinion bearing carrier, that goes around the yoke?
Also, scanning thru the workshop manual, I'm struggling to find any reference to how to "reset the bearing preload on the double bearing box".
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look at pages 3-14 to 3-16 of the manual for replacing the seal

QuadDriver

Cadet

Jsut saw this while goolging for replacement parts for....a 97 SX-Cobra outdrive that filled the driveshaft bellows with GL5.

If it has not been fixed yet, its an easy fix. Crushing the sleeve is the scary part but if you tighten the T-50 bolt in 10-15* increments and then switch to the beam torque wrench you will approach it. 12 is a good middle of the road number

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please look at the dates of posts and not reply to old threads. This one is over a year old, I would think he has it fixed by now.