Volvo AQ125A needs rebuild

jefe

Cadet
I have a Volvo AQ125A in need of major repairs, boat is in great shape, been garaged for most of its life Bayliner Capri/270 outdrive. I read on a forum a while ago that this engine is basicly a Volvo car engine. Is that true and can internal engine parts be subsituted? If so does anyone know what "car" engine it is. I was also told that there is only one other Volvo engine that will bolt on to the 270 outdrive does anyone know what engine that is?

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Volvo AQ125A needs rebuild

Its a B21, B23 or B230 depending on year,(designation will be cast onto lower portion of block) and yes internal parts will fit.

jefe

Cadet

Its a B21, B23 or B230 depending on year,(designation will be cast onto lower portion of block) and yes internal parts will fit.

Thank you for the information, this is what I found on the block:
9 then the "clock" 82 0622 above all that is a "D"

The boat is a 1982 hence the 82, would these numbers let the dealer know what engine it is? There is also the serial number plate, would that only refer to the marine engine application?

jefe

Cadet

One last question, would an rebuilt automotive long block work?

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes, B23 and B230 have a couple different pieces on it... the only problem is the AQ series have a different cam on there.. also the fuel pump is different for the B230 (i was told)

captmello

Captain

yes, B23 and B230 have a couple different pieces on it... the only problem is the AQ series have a different cam on there.. also the fuel pump is different for the B230 (i was told)

True.

Can you reuse your old head and camshaft?

jefe

Cadet

Yes, the head is fine as well as the cam, it needs a valve job and new pistons

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What happened to the pistons?

Save your circ pump. The marine is different.

These engines are pretty tough. They usually out lasted the cars they were put in. What happened to this one?

The B# should be cast just forward of the distributor on the block.

jefe

Cadet

What happened to the pistons?

Save your circ pump. The marine is different.

These engines are pretty tough. They usually out lasted the cars they were put in. What happened to this one?

The B# should be cast just forward of the distributor on the block.

A valve broke apart and pieces stuck in one (or more) of the top of the pistons. I'll look for the B# tomorrow, weather permitting

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow ive never seen a motor drop a valve and the head be ok.... you must have amazing luck..

jefe

Cadet

wow ive never seen a motor drop a valve and the head be ok.... you must have amazing luck..

I was idleing at the time, the engine is a B21 and these numbers are stamped next to the B# 04995, what do these numbers mean?

GLENN M

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had a fiat[fix it again tony]belt broke bent 4 valves 1 exhaust dropped,head was okay replaced 1 piston,