Volvo Duo Prop, transom plate stuck,

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So every thing is removed disconnected etc and ready to remove the transom plate,
I have undone the 6x 19mm nuts with the little clamping plates behind them and left the nuts on the ends of the threads,
i tried a few taps with the persuader, nothing? it seems to be stuck? have i forgotten or missed something or do I need to hit it harder?
any ideas? thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Duo Prop, transom plate stuck,

The transom shield may be glued on with a sealer, makes them a real pain to get off. DO NOT beat on the boats, prying the transom shield off from the outside is the way to do the job. You may have to slide a thin blade around the drive seal to cut it loose.

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Duo Prop, transom plate stuck, Update for Don

The transom shield may be glued on with a sealer, makes them a real pain to get off. DO NOT beat on the boats, prying the transom shield off from the outside is the way to do the job. You may have to slide a thin blade around the drive seal to cut it loose.

Thanks for the advice, worked a treat managed it with the wifes best paint scraper, all off safe and sound ready to be cleaned and painted for fitting to my boat.
Are there any sites where I could download the template for the hole, (merc out Volvo in) needs bigger hole for DPE?

Don S

I have the pdf of the template, but you are really going to need the full sized paper template in order to get the mounting bolt holes in exactly the right place, and to find X location (centerline of the crankshaft).
Here is a link to the file.
http://www.4shared.com/document/3ODAofPr/DPE_Transom_cutout_template.html

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the pdf of the template, but you are really going to need the full sized paper template in order to get the mounting bolt holes in exactly the right place, and to find X location (centerline of the crankshaft).
Here is a link to the file.
http://www.4shared.com/document/3ODAofPr/DPE_Transom_cutout_template.html

Thanks for that, I have ordered the template from Volvo and also ordered the special engine alignment
tool, a little wedge shaped thing,
it says in the manual that it is used to check for an equal gap between the engine housing and the transom plate, but i cant see any reference as to what the gap should be? any ideas?

Don S

There is no specific gap, all you do is make sure the gap is equal on all 3 points.
Once you get the gap equal on each side, then work to get the upper one equal to the sides.

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no specific gap, all you do is make sure the gap is equal on all 3 points.
Once you get the gap equal on each side, then work to get the upper one equal to the sides.

As always, a fountain of knowledge! many thanks Don, will keep you posted with the progress when the bits arrive.