Volvo Repair

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo Repair

Does anyone know who works on VolvoPenta stuff.
Ayuh,... Usually Volvo Techs workin' at Volvo dealers....

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Some of that depends where you are. Around here that are a lot of VPs, so a lot of the shops and mobile guys will work on them.

GLENN M

Petty Officer 1st Class

i know bill just up the road does,if that helps

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Bill? haha Newbies! Look up your nearest marina and they'll tell you the nearest VP Dealer/Marine service shop. Good Luck

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

It really does depends on the year and model. Around here, the dealers won't touch VP's any older than 1989. If the dealers won't help and it's an older model, try an ad on craigslist. I was able to find a couple of retired Volvo techs who like to get their hands dirty on the older stuff once in awhile.

erikgreen

Captain

I had to find a VP repair shop, too. I went to the Volvo site and got their list of dealers in my area, then started calling each one to ask if they could repair a 290DP. Finally found one. But I did have another issue...

When I went out to take the drive to them I talked with the mechanic a while. It turned out he "doesn't like those drives" because he considers them less reliable than Mercruiser drives, and he told me I should stick with Mercruiser. I more or less insisted that I wanted to use this drive and asked if he could repair it or if he'd worked on one before. He said that a couple of boats in their marina have them and he'd repaired them a few times.

Probably this guy was the worst ad for Volvo ever, especially since they have the big light-up Volvo sign out front saying they do VP repairs. I almost wanted to take the drive elsewhere, but this marina was the first place I've found (out of about 10 places I tried) that would actually work on the 290.

Short answer to the question that apparently was asked by the original poster: Get the list from the Volvo site and start calling around. Ask if they've worked on your particular drive model before.

Erik