volvo 280 intermediate shaft repair

kjw03

Cadet
I was recently told that there is excessive play in the intermediate shaft bearing on my 1979 280 outdrive w/350 ci eng.(AQ255B) How major of a procedure is this? Does the engine need to be removed and has anyone had a similiar repair done? I am just trying to get an idea of how deep I have to get into this and what kind of cash am I looking at.Thanx-k.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: volvo 280 intermediate shaft repair

That requires dissassembly of the drive. The engine does not have to be removed. How do they know the intermediate shaft has too much play?

kjw03

Cadet

The top box to the outdrive was removed so the bellows boot for the shaft could be changed. That's when the play was found. It is being worked on by a mechanic and he said the engine had to come out to change the shaft but he sounded a little unsure of himself about the repair.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Get your boat away from that shop.

Bondo

Staff member

Unless we're getting our Terms/Part Names Seriously Confused,<br />I'd have to Agree with Walt...........<br />Either Way,<br />I'd be Looking for a different Wrench to work on my boat............<br />An Unsure Mechanic leads to Very Large Repair Bills.............. :mad:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> are we disscussing the drive intermediate? I am thinking they are looking at the gimbal. sometimes the manual refers to it as an intermediate housing as well. if its the gimbal on a 280-290 in the engine bell housing, then yep the engine must come out. but be aware that the shaft that sicks out when the upper is removed should not wiggle much. its an expensive job on those drives.<br /> good luck and keep posting

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

Yep. The bearings go in from the engine side of the interm housing. Volvo traditional style. Engine, interm-housing and drive. The engine come out and you pull the bearing out from the engine side of the interm housing. I always pull the interm housing out of the boat. I like working on the housing on the bench. The only time I have seen the bearing fail is from water thru the bellow on the drive side.

kjw03

Cadet

so maybe this guy does know what he's talking about- Water did get into the bellows boot,pretty bad actually and there is side to side movement with the shaft. He too mentioned the easiest way was to pull the engine and fix everything on the bench then re-install. I'm willing to pay to have the thing repaired correctly but any idea on average costs for a repair like that?

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

2 bearings 2 seals 1 bellow 2 ujoints upper seal gear box. parts 250.00 and labor 750.00 total 1000.00 R and R engine. Pull upper gear box and reseal and install new bearings interm housing.

Dunaruna

Admiral

And possible worn vibration damper (bolted onto flywheel)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br />can ya tell me how many bolts will brak? can ya tell me if I have to cut the mounts out?<br /> there are a lot of variables. what is the shop labor rate? the only way to do this job correctly is to remove the engine. the bearings shaft and seals will all have to be removed. also they will check the shaft coupler for damage as well. so 1000 may be a bit low.<br /> bellows replacement on a regular basis is way way cheaper. every 3 years replace it. then you dont go through all this.<br /> good luck and keep posting

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

? There is a difference between working for someone and being self employed. I flat rate 95% of all work thru my shop. Unless the boat is a Rag that job is gravy. Breaking bolts I dont break many. You either know this business or you dont. We live and die by the flat rate numbers at my shop. Those number are all the money. If you think there low you wouldn't make it in my shop.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Robolts point is a valid one, too many variables on a 24 year old boat.<br /><br /> Gimbal bearing siezed in housing, badly rusted bolts, rust spots in sump, leaking rear main, engine mounts worn or broken, bolts into stringers floating - the list goes on and on.<br /><br />Spending extra time fixing threads etc. cost money.<br /><br />How can an accurate quote be given?<br /><br />Aldo

kjw03

Cadet

Well, you guys have at least given me an idea of what were talking about here. Fortunately for me the outdrive and motor were all rebuilt before it was parked on a trailer for 8 years. Funny, I found a note on the invoice for last outdrive rebuild and it says "if drive shaft bearing is noisey may need replace". Then would have been a good time but oh well, the boat was too good a deal not to expect problems and at least I know it runs well! Thanx again guys for all your input!

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

There is no gimbal bearing on a Volvo Penta traditional drive. Next Like I said you are either in this business or not. I have a custom made hydralic gimbal puller. It will pull any gimbal bearing out in minutes. I said in my shop will live and die by the flat rate time so the customer doesnt pay for our lack of knowledge or equipement. Its not the customers responsibilty to pay for people to learn the boat business on there time. PS. stainless steel doesn't rust only material with iron ore FE. All fastners in the Volvo Penta drive are stainless steel.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

Remove the boat from the shop/removal of engine?

Dunaruna

Admiral

vinney, not looking for an argument, just interested in your last post. I run a workshop (22yrs automotive) and would like to know how unforseen problems equals lack of knowledge. <br /><br />Threads are sometimes damaged no matter what the bolt material is or how much care is taken - do you every need to fit helicoils? What if the rear main is leaking? Do you replace it without charge or is cost already factored into your flat rate?<br /><br />I run a 280vp/302w and recently had the same problem, my gimbal bearing (bell housing bearing/ intermediate bearing) pratically siezed and badly damaged the housing (3 mths after purchase), I sourced a good secondhand bell housing. What would you have done? Would you charge more than your original quote? Would you have know about the damaged housing before inspecting it (maybe its a common problem - I dont know)? While the motor was out I replaced a worn vibration damper (coupler?)rusty sump and engine mounts.<br /><br />Maybe I've read your post wrong, if so I apologise. As I said, i'm truly interested how a workshop charges for unforseen problems - if you've never had one, you are to be congratulated, I'd like to know your secret.<br /><br />Aldo

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

I run my business so its a win for us and a win for the customer. We dont work on anything thats over ten years. Maybe cars are different. I have only worked in the boat business. I have always flat rated all work thru my shop. I dont know if that a skill or a talent. I thought about your question and this is what comes to mind. The customer wants the job done the owner of the business wants the job done and the tech always finds an excuse why the job cant get done. If you look at the excuses over why you can do that job in the given time its reminds me of techs who have worked for me. I give my techs flat rate times to work and strive for. I dont like excuses and neither do the paying customers. I have never had a day being self employed that we didnt have plenty of work summer or winter and we choose who we work for. I flat rate 95% of all work thru the door. We dont take on every job. We set our business up to win and we provide great service.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Thanks for the reply, my original comments came from working on my own boat (26 years old). Who knows what has been reworked, neglected or modified over the years prior to my purchase.<br /><br />Yes, cars under 10 years old don't normally present unusual problems. Most of my customers have vehicles post 1998 but I enjoy taking on a challenge every now and again. I agree that its usually not 'gravy'.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />Aldo