Volvo 260 weak spark??

ldweber51

Cadet
Greetings, I have a Bayliner with 2 Volvo 260's. Coming out of storage, one engine fires up just fine. The other will not run. It's been awhile since I worked on mechanical ignition system. I pulled the center coil wire to check for spark. There is one, but very weak. I tried a good used coil & still have a weak spark from coil. Connections & wire all look good. If the points or condenser are bad, can that cause a weak spark from the center coil wire?? Maybe I'm going back *** ward in troubleshooting this problem. Thanking you in advance, Larry...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo 260 weak spark??

hello<br /> if it has points test or replace them. check for input voltage at cranking. if the starter is hogging all the battery juice the points dont get much. are you sure you have points? many volvo's had a prestolite electronic system.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Dunaruna

Admiral

Is it a AQ260A ( pre '93 350)? If so, it originally came out with points distributor. Aldo

ldweber51

Cadet

Yes, it is the 260A. I will check out & replace what is needed on the dist. Not sure on the age of the parts. Starter draw could be the culprit. It does not crank as fast as the other engine. I swapped battery to rule out a defective battery. Will post what I come up with, thanks for your help!

ldweber51

Cadet

Aldo, do you know where Kingscliff is located?? I have a friend who lives there. I saw you were from 'downunder'.... Once again, thanks. Larry

Dunaruna

Admiral

Larry, I live in Melbourne (Victoria) which is close to Queenscliff, a popular beach tourist town, never heard of Kingscliff. What state is it in? Aldo

ldweber51

Cadet

Kingcliffs is in New South Wales along the coast. I hope to make the journey some day to visit. <br /><br />My weak spark was a defective condenser. I installed a new cap, rotor, condenser & points last fall before winter storage. <br /><br />Both engines run great now, thanks for your help!<br /><br />Larry...

Dunaruna

Admiral

Found it on the map, its in an area (Tweed coast) that my wife and I are concidering retiring to.<br /><br />Excellent climate, excellent fishing!!!<br /><br />And not overrun by tourists (yet).<br /><br />Hope your friends have a boat. Aldo