Removing drain petcocks on volvo 3.0 -- winterizing

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removing drain petcocks on volvo 3.0 -- winterizing

Which manual were you using? and which model engine. Some models may have different items in the system.

bow wow rider

Seaman

it's the manual that came with the volvo penta 3.0 gl, as pictured if you follow the link. this is one issue that concerned me when winterizing, so i thought i'd get some pictures out there for the next person with my concerns.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an OMC 1993 3.0 and it looks just like the pictures above. Same manifold and block drains. I have NEVER been able to get any water out of the manifold even with the petcock removed. Using a small screwdriver, there is NO hole into the manifold. Must be a flawed casting which was never cleared. Just to be sure, I always pour antifreze into the manifold when winterizing.

bow wow rider

Seaman

there is NO hole into the manifold. Must be a flawed casting which was never cleared.

wow that's wonky. i wonder if you hit it hard enough, if you could bust through the metal? could be pretty thick though i guess.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't want to screw anything up. The antifreze in the manifold eases my mind and takes care of the manifold.