1992 volvo coil

nikk

Seaman Apprentice
hello i had a number of problems last summer my tach was bouncing around and the motor would bog down and stall a marina installed a aftermarket coil and it didnt fix the proble so i put in the proper coil and im just wanting spring to arrive so i can test it out do you guys think it might be fixed would a bad coil do that to the tach and stall out the motor as if there was no gas???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1992 volvo coil

Hello, What engine are you running? A bad coil will do this, but a bad or shorted tach will do it as well. You might have gotten a bad coil 1st time around. You need to run it and see if your replacement fixed the problem. You can also disconnect the tach wire from the coil and see if the idle improves. If you have points they may need to be serviced. They will cause all kinds of running problems when worn. Replace them with a Pertronix electronic ignition and be done with them! Also check your plugs, cap and wires. Replace cracked and worn looking wires and cap. Change plugs once a season (when you fog out your engine for storage you foul them with oil). Just some suggestions to help you out. Good luck!