Volvo inline 6 170 hp

ehammer

Recruit
I have a 1973 volvo inline 6 170 hp motor that has 3 carbs. I would like to find out if anyone has seen an intake manifold that will accept a single carb. for this motor or if there is an adapter that I can change it over to a single carb. I cannot keep the 3 carbs in sink they are more trouble than they are worth.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo inline 6 170 hp

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that this is a Chevy engine...probably 251? cubic inch. You should be able to find an intake manifold either online or from a local auto parts supply house. NAPA's Sierra line is where I would start.

Dunaruna

Admiral

The 6 cyl in line (pushrod) engines used by volvo were based on the Volvo B30A auto engine, you should be able to confirm this by the engine number, port side above starter. Aldo

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think you can do much with the intake of that AQ170 motor, and I think that if you do manage you will find yourself very disappointed in a formerly nice engine that doesn't run well anymore.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

ehammer & all,<br />The AQ170 is a variant of the Volvo 6 cyl B30 engine from the 160 family of cars from the early 70's.<br />181 cid / 3.0 litre with a steel crank. Those carbs are very simple to balance and should not vary when set up. The only part that wears is the throttle shafts.<br />The auto engines had twin 1,3/4" CD Strombergs on early production and Fuel Injection on later models but rated slightly lower HP.<br /><br />Peter :)