OEM Shop Manual I/O Volvo 250?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OEM Shop Manual I/O Volvo 250?

Go to the link below and download the owners manual for your ENGINE, not the outdrive. The service manuals for the older engines and drives tell you nothing about winterizing, and are a Looooooooong shot from being a training manual or a DIYers manual.
Also found in the link is other info you may need to know such as the FAQ section.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Don...
I'm really not sure which motor I have... An old survey says it was a 225 HP Volvo Penta but the drop in replacement is listed as Penta 260A/Chevy 350. In any case, I can't find any motor at your link that is coupled to a 250 outdrive.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Find one with a 270 outdrive. They are the same basic thing, except the 270 went to spiral cut gears instead of straight cut. Maintenance is exactly the same. Even a 260 with a 280 drive has the same basic winterizing and maintenance info.
The drive gets 30W engine oil instead of "engine oil" the straight weight holds up better than multigrade oils. other than that, basic maintenance on the drive is the same.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Find one with a 270 outdrive. They are the same basic thing, except the 270 went to spiral cut gears instead of straight cut. Maintenance is exactly the same. Even a 260 with a 280 drive has the same basic winterizing and maintenance info.
The drive gets 30W engine oil instead of "engine oil" the straight weight holds up better than multigrade oils. other than that, basic maintenance on the drive is the same.

The 210 has a 270 and good info. I also found your post about Winterizing your engine and drive which will be my bible when it come time.

Another question, now that we're on a roll...
The propeller is in rough shape, although there are no dings/chips or bends. I pulled it off and ran a wire brush over one blade -- it cleaned up, but was far from smooth. The hub says I think, OJ 15 15
d69d0867.jpg

I'm figuring it's a 15" diameter X 15" pitch - LH (is cc considered 'standard' rotation for Volvo?), short hub. What I don't understand the Standard vs High Speed notations from the Volvo propeller charts (could it be the HS are just higher pitch?) or should I just get the iBoats prop?
http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Vo...17370/?**********=943434939&*******=619810495