volvo penta / chevy 350 -convert points to electronic?

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would think this is an obvious upgrade. WHat about a GM HDI from a junk yard<br />(the one with the coil in the distributor cap?). Or if new, what? An Accell kit from an<br />auto performance catalog?<br /><br />Opinions? Remarks?<br /><br />Also, in my newly purchase Clymer manual, it says not to use a deep cycle marine battery. <br />I was surprised to see that. They reccommend 360 cold cranking amps and 115 hour reserve.<br /><br />I don't know the specific year of my powertrain. It is a retro fit from a Carver, dropped into a <br />Sea Ray after a major mod on the transom. It is a V/P chevy 350 with V/P 280 drive.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: volvo penta / chevy 350 -convert points to electronic?

DK,<br /><br />I changed mine over a couple of years ago. I went to the local boat dealer and got a used Mercuiser distributor. It was a little pricey (250) but he gave me a new module with it. <br /><br />Auto distributors have different timing advance than that of a marine distributors.<br /><br />Good Luck.....SS

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

SS Mayfloat gave you some good advice. The control module is selected for the power curve of the engine. I'd call Volvo/Penta and ask for tech support and tell them what you are trying to do and that you want to get a used HEI distributor locally. Then ask them what type they'd recommend for your motor (give them the serial number of your motor). Finally ask them what GM module you should get. Hopefully, the tech will give you the GM part number which you can get in two days at any Chevy or Buick dealership for about $70.00. If you have to buy it from Volvo, it will probably be $150.00 and be EXACTLY the same thing.<br /><br />As to the deep cycle thing, that's a new one on me.

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Automotive distributors are not set up with the proper spark protection... basically they can create an explosion. Only a marine distributor should be used. <br /><br />All goes to whether it's USCG approved. If it is, it's safe to use. If not, it's an accident waiting to happen. Have that accident, and insurance finds you've swapped to automotive parts, and you're pretty much on your own.<br /><br />You're better off putting a Pertronics system in your existing distributor.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I agree with ccrew. I also wanted to convert to electronic ignition and was investigating using an automotive HEI distributor before I learned about the differences between an automotive and marine distributor. I went with the pertronix kit with my existing distributor. Get the Ignitor II model, it has some protection built it in case you leave the key in the on position w/o the engine running. Good luck......

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to search - in the last 2 months<br />there are at 10 answers to this same question.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I retrofitted my Chryslers with a "Fireball" unit available at Lordco. It used the original distributor and cap so no explosion worries. The electronics unit is also completely potted. The advance is still run from the flyweights in the distributor. I'm very happy with it, particularly on cold starting.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I guess I will give you another option. Try keeping the old points and condenser. My 1980 has had not a single probllem with points and condensor in 23 years. I have only changed them one time but not for a problem but just because seem like the right thing to do. I keep the old set for a emergency spare plus I have a new emergency spare just in case. Cost less than $10 and I can change it on the water in less than 15 minutes. I have had many friends go with the electronic conversions mostly looking for more HP. I have also had to tow two of them back in when this great electronic module failed. So far every one I have know well enough to compare HP with my boat before and after has seen no change in performance.<br /><br />If you do go with the electronic KEEP your old points and condensor and the instructions so you can put them back in and get home if you forget and leave the key on some day and blow your module.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> yep<br /> points work<br /> I like all the high tech motor wizardy and I make a good living fixing it but carbs work and so do points and I can usually fix either anywhere. so far the best distributer I have seen for GM marine use is the delco EST. no moving parts all the advance is done by internal electronics. we had a terrible time with HEI rusting advance mechanisms on autos they usually wont last a season in a boat. the EST is similar to the HEI but the coil is seperate. its an easy wiring job. but why bother. clean/change the points now and again and buy beer not parts :) :) <br /> Good luck and keep posting. oh and leave the auto parts on the autos.