Outdrive upper rebuild Volvo Duo

walleyehed

Admiral
Hey folks!
Got a friend with a Volvo 434 DPCD, 1.9:1, S/N 872877 with the need to rebuild the upper section of the outdrive. He was told in K.C. MO. that it would be around 10k to rebuild this-just the upper-I find this a bit hard to swallow and told him I would ask some of the folks on here what their thoughts were on that projected cost.
Any help or advice would be great. The info posted is all I have been given, so let me know if there may be something else needed. also, all I was told was that the upper needed rebuilt. I do not know the exact problem.
Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive upper rebuild Volvo Duo

They are expensive, but 10K for rebuilding just the upper is crazy, you can get a complete new DP outdrive for that. A complete gear set is just under 1100 bucks, and if all the bearings, shift cone, shift mechanism, ujoint assembly, seal kit, all the rings, bolts, etc needed could run close to $4000 in parts but that would be replacing everthing in the upper gear box but the vertical shaft.
4-6 hours labor is typical on a complete rebuild of just the upper.

A few years back, Volvo did an exchange program for the uppers that were around $3500 (I think)

One other problem I see, if the gears in his upper did fail, then the lower is probably dead too. They are more expensive to rebuild than the upper.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Outdrive upper rebuild Volvo Duo

Thanks Don, thats exactly what I needed to know...:)