Volvo Penta / OMC 3.0L engine identification - GM or Ford?

Craig W

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 1998 Four Winns Horizon QX with a Volvo Penta/OMC 3.0L mated to an SX Cobra stern drive. It has cleaned up nicely and is running great. I'm currently in fact finding mode (coming from a Yammy 115 outboard) to gather as much data on this boat as I can for my files -a HUGE THANKS to all those that have posted great questions and received great answers from the info I've searched through!

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find anything here or on the www that provides any way to identify whether it has the GM or Ford 3.0L engine. The shop manual outlines that both engines (could?) have been present that year? Although the manual mentions both, the "identifier blurb" does not provide for any distinction between the two in their "decoding the engine model number" section.

Do any of you have any idea based on the info:
Engine: model# 302CPBYM serial# T01311942
Transon: model# 3868843 serial#T00383398
Unit: model# 3868814 serial#T00819714

or know of an area I can go to determine what engine/parts I should be hunting for if ever there are problems? Thanks greatly for any input.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Penta / OMC 3.0L engine identification - GM or Ford?

Howdy,

ALL 3.0L engines are manufactured by GM. It was never put in a car or truck.

They were used in forklifts, generators, skid-steers, (and boats!!)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the ford 4 banger that OMC used, volvo never did, was a 2.3L.
GM made a 2.5L that volvo never used and volvo just dropped the 3.0 from the lineup this year.
but there are many about and parts will be avalible for a long time.
GM dropped production of the 8.1 and 4.3 L motors this year.
sounds like your not using a FACTORY volvo manual so be aware of the confusion aftermarket manuals can generate.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

volvo just dropped the 3.0 from the lineup this year.

that's too bad......good little engine!!

zbnutcase

Commander

the ford 4 banger that OMC used, volvo never did, was a 2.3L.
GM made a 2.5L that volvo never used and volvo just dropped the 3.0 from the lineup this year.
but there are many about and parts will be avalible for a long time.
GM dropped production of the 8.1 and 4.3 L motors this year.
sounds like your not using a FACTORY volvo manual so be aware of the confusion aftermarket manuals can generate.

Then how come GM Powertrain's website lists a 4.3 for 2011????

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

I thought their production engines were all the new modular stuff? Their little 3.0l "iron duke" variant has been a dependable platform..simple, cheap, rugged, if not particularly smooth. The 4.3 was simply a 5.7 with 2 cylinders cut off, so as long as the heads and blocks are available, engine internals will be around 'til ALL of US are long gone.

zbnutcase

Commander

Once again: The 3.0L is NOT an iron duke "variant", nor is it related in any way, shape, or form. Two totally different engines!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The 4.3 is gone.....bummer,i liked those engines!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

VOLVO PENTA is moving away from the 3.0L. Mercruiser is still using them. Why, I don't know, but my guess is that the money it takes to make the 3.0L engine EPA friendly and still run and last in real life, is just not worth it for VP.

Craig W

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Seloc manual - not 1998 factory manual but better than nothing I guess? covers many years and thus variations. From what I've heard and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but there was some kind of "cut-off" where OMC went belly up and Volvo "bought" them out? And changed things up. I had a marina/dealer expressing that I could be in one of the transitional years... If ALL 3.0L are GM, then I guess that's what I have? There's no way it could be a Ford, and yes, that's where I'd guess these Seloc manuals can lead to problems.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what we were told by the VP purchasing agent was GM is dropping the 4.3 and the 8.1L engines and VP has enough for about 2 years.
VP did make the 3.0 as an MPI version for about 16 months then dropped the 3.0 from the line.
mercrusier made it MPI with a catalytic converter for EPA after jan 01 2010.
was wondering all last year why the 4.3 and the 8.1 got EPA exemptions.
been trying to find more info on that slant 4 1.6L mercrusier with the funny name.
havent seen one yet but it should be fun to access.

Craig W

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dubs283 -great article, thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The good news, is you don't have the Cobra drive mentioned in the hastings article, you have the SX outdrive. (Volvo)

This should explain the model number for you.

attachment.php

The BY indicates a 1998 engine/drive combo. That was also the last year of OMC/Volvo joint venture, as Volvo bought them out completely.
You can use Volvo parts and part numbers for all the parts and Volvo manuals since the Volvo and OMC versions are identical.

You can get engine parts right here at iboats http://www.volvopentastore.com/3-0G...*****.124622340--store_id.366--view_id.342418 using the Volvo parts section.
Outdrive here http://www.volvopentastore.com/Tran...*****.124622340--store_id.366--view_id.332881

Transom Shield here http://www.volvopentastore.com/Tran...*****.124622340--store_id.366--view_id.332946

Manuals here http://www.4shared.com/dir/14518366/adf5181a/BYsharing.html

Attachments

• 302.jpg
    302.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 3

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I recently purchased a 1998 Four Winns Horizon QX with a Volvo Penta/OMC 3.0L mated to an SX Cobra stern drive. It has cleaned up nicely and is running great.
Now that you know what you have, you might do a few things that will keep it running great.

If you bought it from a dealer, you might ask them if they replaced the raw water pump (impeller), changed the engine and drive oils, and checked/adjusted the alignment (the regular sched/suggested maintenance) etc.

If you bought it from an individual, unless they gave you receipts for the above and you can go to the dealer to verify, you should probably do at least those items when you "winterize" this Fall.

Cheers,

Rick

Craig W

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info Don. My manual has the 'decoder' but I didn't understand much past the 3.0L and the 'C' version for the engine and the power steering. The drive says "sx cobra" as does the literature that I received with the boat. Thank you for reinforcing my hunch with the drive.

Rick, I will be replacing all the fluids when winterizing and replacing the raw water impellor come the start of next season. I value your words of wisdom and advice. Although this isn't my first boat and I take care of a number of other boats for family and friends, it's always nice to receive everyone else's thoughts and recommendations.