Engine codes on 1995 (ford) volvo penta

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimedac

Seaman
does anyone know how i can check engine codes on my 5.8fiphuece volvo penta engine? Or can it only be done at a repair shop?

thanks

jimedac

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Engine codes on 1995 (ford) volvo penta

Like stated before. You need a marine specific code reader. If you want to pony up the cash for one or for the software you can check it from the comfort of your own driveway. If not you MUST take it to an appropriate repair facility to get the codes. There is no simple little tricks like putting jumper between two pins or turning your key on and off 3 times to get them.

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm

jimedac

Seaman

does the rinda read ford codes with obdI connector?

jimedac

Seaman

does the rinda work with ford engines?

jimedac

Seaman

rinda technologies told me they dont have an analyzer for fords and that the eca in my boat is an f150 eca and i can use an auto analyzer.

zbnutcase

Commander

rinda technologies told me they dont have an analyzer for fords and that the eca in my boat is an f150 eca and i can use an auto analyzer.

That is true. A $30 Ford EEC IV code reader works just fine; The one I bought is very, very, similar to the Volvo Penta tool. The marine ECM uses 2 digit codes, and virtually all of them are the same as automotive codes.

zbnutcase

Commander

Like stated before. You need a marine specific code reader. If you want to pony up the cash for one or for the software you can check it from the comfort of your own driveway. If not you MUST take it to an appropriate repair facility to get the codes. There is no simple little tricks like putting jumper between two pins or turning your key on and off 3 times to get them.

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm

And yeah, on Fords, there actually is. The codes can even be pulled using a analog voltmeter.

jimedac

Seaman

The guy at rinda also told me the ECA is the same as an F150.

zbnutcase

Commander

The guy at rinda also told me the ECA is the same as an F150.

It may be close, but I doubt identical, as the truck has more emission controls and O2 sensors to deal with, marine does not.

jimedac

Seaman

Zbnutcase,
The software is on a prom chip which can be removed/replaced with the old one.
PROM programmable read only memory chips can be copied and will be erased if exposed to ultra
Violet light. I am knowledgeable in the electronics field I am not much of a mechanic yet!

Thanks again zb

jimedac

Seaman

Analyzed boat yesterday with an otc auto analyzer with no codes found.
passed all tests koeo koer and quick test.

zbnutcase

Commander

Whats the problem? Last one I worked on 2 months ago that wasn't running right had a mostly clogged anti-syphon valve; it too had no codes set.

jimedac

Seaman

I am having trouble getting greater than 3,000 rpm wot. I am going to fill the tank up tommorrow and take the boat out monday because waves are too big tommorrow. I intend to check the fuel line leading to the boat as posted on the sticky. How do i know if i have a bad anti siphon valve?

jimedac

Seaman

i intend to test the boat tommorrow or monday depending on marine forecast. I am going to do the tank to filter test as recommended by don s and jason. How can i be sure the anti-siphon valve is working?

NHGuy

Captain

Hmmm, no codes, not enough speed. Change fuel filters, check fuel vent for obstruction, check bottom of hull for dirty, hows the propeller?

To answer you question.
The anti siphon valve is a ball valve that only allows fuel to flow when there is suction. It won't flow fuel with just gravity. I don't have a small enough vacuum tester to check for what value it should run, but here's what I did to check mine.
First disconnect battery, 2nd work in a well ventilated area with no open flame, fuel vapor can ignite from many sources of flame and spark.
Remove fuel line from the anti siphon valve. This will be a pain if it's like mine, the rubber line fits tightly over the barbed end of the valve, if there's enough rubber line, slit about 3/4 to 1" of line and cut back that much. If you have to keep all the length you'll need a 90 degree pick to stick between the valve barb and the hose, work the pick around the inside of the hose to work the hose off the barb.
Then unthread the valve from the tank fitting. More advice here, if it's stuck on there, and it probably is - get a wrench on the tank outlet fitting and a wrench on the valve, use the wrenches against each other to turn the valve so you are not putting force on the tank fixture.
Once you have the valve out inspect it well, clean it with carb cleaner or fuel, move the ball with a plastic probe, clean it some more. If it doesn't work perfectly just replace it, the part is usually less money than the effort to remove it.
When reinstalling you put on a bit of teflon pipe sealer, not tape, and snug it down.
BTW I have a carburetor boat and a low pressure fuel pump at the engine. On fuel injection do you have pump in tank with pressurized fuel line(s)? Is there a return loop fuel line? Reason I ask is there would be no anti siphon valve if the fuel was plumbed like a Ford car or truck EFI. Or does it pull fuel up to the pump and then send it on to the engine? That method uses the anti siphon valve.

zbnutcase

Commander

Nope, no in tank pump or return line on those models of Ford marine EFI. Low pressure lift pump pulling through anti-siphon valve feeding high pressure pump.

jimedac

Seaman

Zb I am seeing tiny air bubbles on inlet to fuel filter

jimedac

Seaman

I cleaned anti_siphon valve and bubbles seemed to go awaym. I still have priblem getting past 3000 rpm wot.
Between three quarter throttle and wot no change in rpm. Butterfly opens fullym could my problem be the low pressure fuel pump? If so how do I test it? Ihear it come on when turning key. It cost 239 bucks so I want to be sure it is bad b4 changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.