Hard Shifting Volvo DP

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have twin 2000 Volvo 5.0 Gi's with duoprop outdrives. The drives were supposedly serviced when I bought the boat this spring. I say "supposedly" because other work that was supposedly done was not - oil and filter change. We've put about 20 hours her since we got her. The shifters have never been what I would call smooth, and I intend to replace the cables when I pull her this fall.

Last weekend we took a nice long cruise, about three hours or so. This morning we went out for a quick trip, maybe an hour or so. Anyway, when we got back, the shifters seemed to be more stiff than usual.

I am used to a bravo drive and a reservoir I can see. What are everyone's thoughts? Am I just imaging things? I can tell you they are very quiet when they shift. No mercruiser "clunk".

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hard Shifting Volvo DP

I have twin 2000 Volvo 5.0 Gi's with duoprop outdrives.

First thing I would do is disconnect the shift cable at the drive (under the cover) then have a friend hold the end of the cable at the drive to prevent you from moving it. Then try shifting. If it's still hard to shift, you need new cables.

If your friend can't hold the cables enough for you to notice, then they are fine and working normally.
Have you checked and changed the gear lube in the drive yearly per the maintenance specs?

dsiekman

Have you checked and changed the gear lube in the drive yearly per the maintenance specs?

I have not checked the gear lube. It was supposed to have been changed this spring, but then again, who knows. The dipstick/fill is on top of the outdrive, right? How exactly is one supposed to check this from the boat, or am I going swimming?

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not checked the gear lube. It was supposed to have been changed this spring, but then again, who knows. The dipstick/fill is on top of the outdrive, right? How exactly is one supposed to check this from the boat, or am I going swimming?

You must be in the water/at the outdrive to check. And if in the water (drive in the down position) the top of the drive must be above water... :D There is a large, 15mm / 9/16's bolt head - also has a flat blade screwdriver slot in it. That is the dipstic.

Volvo's can shift funny when not filled correctly but that is not your issue. Shift cables/linkage is pretty simple on the Volvo so it should be easy to diagnose.

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

My Volvo SX was shifting hard so I replaced the cable. When inspecting the old cable, I found that the outer sheild on the cable had actually broken and was allowing some slop in the shifting. The new cable cleared up the problem.

dsiekman

Thanks, guys. I was hoping it was just the cable for two reasons. First, I never like to think a shop didn't do what they were supposed to. Second, it is a much cheaper fix.

Guess I'm going swimming...