Can the tilt trim motor be rebuilt? volvo penta 270 stern drive

tistore

Banned
my 74 glastron with a volvo penta aq130c motor with a 270 stern drive laggs when raising the stern...goes down fast but when i goto raise it it laggs and eventually makes it to the full raised position. can a person remove this tilt motor and grease it or something? i know it's an old boat and the tilt motor sounds fine it just drags when i raise it. help please......

captmello

Captain
Re: Can the tilt trim motor be rebuilt? volvo penta 270 stern drive

http://www.iboats.com/Volvo-Penta-Power-Tilt-and-Trim-Motor-Brush-Repair-Kits/dm/*******.117345617--**********.222009451--view_id.271022

Iboats sells these rebuild kits. Just have to figure out which one you have. Can be a great value compared to $400 new.:eek:

I would pull the whole assembly, take it apart, clean it up and regrease, replace the orings and seals.

Here's a thread I started about mine.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=307304&highlight=275+tilt

Do you have a bracket to support the outdrive while towing? If not, get one.

Let us know how it goes.:)

cpt ron jc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i just had mine rebuilt,a new one cost around 3oo,check out e bay,mike alps,you will have to mail it to him he lives in linden tenn,price depends on what y need,he will re build yours or y can do a switch out he does a good job with waranty to,he has many trim pumps he has been rebuilding these pumps for a long time good luck.

occarvers

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a used one on Ebay for $150.00. Seemed to be a lot of them available. Beats the price for a new one.

tistore

Banned

Thanks everyone...I will mess with it today and let everyone know what I find. I do have a bbracket while towing so that's good...so if the drive goes down but lags on the way up do u think its probably the motor worn out or does the part where the motor is attached to need to be opened up and cleaned an greased? It doesn't grind or anything and goes down really smooth and fast just really slow on the way up like the battery is drained.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How many wires are going to your tilt motor?

I wouldn't waste my time rebuilding anyting other than a two wire.

A new two wire motor can be had for $150. Arco or Sierra.

tistore

Banned

i only have 2 wires it's an older boat but not sure if i want to rebuild it or just buy a new motor...not sure if it's the motor lagging or the bearings and stuff under the motor? not sure if i just need to clean it up and grease it or just leave it till it completely goes out and wont lift the outdrive any longer....what does everyone think"?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take it to your local starter/alternator repair shop, they may be able to rebuild it. Just depends on how bad yours really is. Will be just like a new one if you have a good shop in your area. And a lot cheaper than 150 bucks.

tistore

Banned

ok took the motor off cleaned the brushes on the inside...everything looked good...sprayed the ends with silcone spray...then not sure if this will hurt anything but sprayed some in the hole where the motor attatches too...and put it back together and what a difference...goes up and down pretty fast goes down really fast and goes up way faster then usual...noticed i replied earlier that it had 2 wires but it actually has 3 ....but ya fixed my problem atleast for now.