• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Looking for Genuine Volvo Penta parts? Visit the volvopentastore.com - powered by iboats.com to receive FREE SHIPPING on orders over $99!

Looking for Genuine Volvo Penta parts? Visit volvopentastore.com - powered by iboats.com to receive FREE SHIPPING on orders over $99! UPS Ground only. Not available on Alaska, Hawaii, or international orders.
2 of 2 < >

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Can the tilt trim motor be rebuilt? volvo penta 270 stern drive

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the tilt trim motor be rebuilt? volvo penta 270 stern drive

my 74 glastron with a volvo penta aq130c motor with a 270 stern drive laggs when raising the stern...goes down fast but when i goto raise it it laggs and eventually makes it to the full raised position. can a person remove this tilt motor and grease it or something? i know it's an old boat and the tilt motor sounds fine it just drags when i raise it. help please......

Re: Can the tilt trim motor be rebuilt? volvo penta 270 stern drive

http://www.iboats.com/Volvo-Penta-Po...view_id.271022

Iboats sells these rebuild kits. Just have to figure out which one you have. Can be a great value compared to $400 new.

I would pull the whole assembly, take it apart, clean it up and regrease, replace the orings and seals.

Here's a thread I started about mine.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....light=275+tilt

Do you have a bracket to support the outdrive while towing? If not, get one.

Let us know how it goes.
    '88 Baretta Success 200
    Volvo Penta AQ260/275

'96 Weeres Suntanner 24
    '01 90hp Johnson

Comment

yes i just had mine rebuilt,a new one cost around 3oo,check out e bay,mike alps,you will have to mail it to him he lives in linden tenn,price depends on what y need,he will re build yours or y can do a switch out he does a good job with waranty to,he has many trim pumps he has been rebuilding these pumps for a long time good luck.

Comment

I bought a used one on Ebay for $150.00. Seemed to be a lot of them available. Beats the price for a new one.

Comment

Thanks everyone...I will mess with it today and let everyone know what I find. I do have a bbracket while towing so that's good...so if the drive goes down but lags on the way up do u think its probably the motor worn out or does the part where the motor is attached to need to be opened up and cleaned an greased? It doesn't grind or anything and goes down really smooth and fast just really slow on the way up like the battery is drained.

Comment

How many wires are going to your tilt motor?

I wouldn't waste my time rebuilding anyting other than a two wire.

A new two wire motor can be had for $150. Arco or Sierra.
            '76 Bayliner T1750
            Aq130D, 280
            Work in progress
            http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...anx1/bayliner/

Flybridge restore thread
            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=456072

This one has reevits
            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=550380

Comment

i only have 2 wires it's an older boat but not sure if i want to rebuild it or just buy a new motor...not sure if it's the motor lagging or the bearings and stuff under the motor? not sure if i just need to clean it up and grease it or just leave it till it completely goes out and wont lift the outdrive any longer....what does everyone think"?

Comment

Take it to your local starter/alternator repair shop, they may be able to rebuild it. Just depends on how bad yours really is. Will be just like a new one if you have a good shop in your area. And a lot cheaper than 150 bucks.
                Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                That is what the forums are for.
                Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

ok took the motor off cleaned the brushes on the inside...everything looked good...sprayed the ends with silcone spray...then not sure if this will hurt anything but sprayed some in the hole where the motor attatches too...and put it back together and what a difference...goes up and down pretty fast goes down really fast and goes up way faster then usual...noticed i replied earlier that it had 2 wires but it actually has 3 ....but ya fixed my problem atleast for now.

Comment

Working...
                  X