1983 Solex carb on 120 B Volvo

umcds

Recruit
I am unable to set a cold fast idle for this engine. Therefore, it starts hard until I manually adjust the fast idle set screw. When it warms up it idles too fast. I see no choke or enrichment device for starting. I am new to Solex. I rebuilt it with a kit from a Volvo dealer. Any one know where a good manual for his carb is? I have the latest Clymer and a Volvo manual for th 125 B. But they offer little or no help with adjustments and settings. It runs well wide open, 4800 rpm , 32 mph on Bayliner 19' with four aboard. I have been unable to access help from volvo website. Is there a Solex site? :confused: <br /><br />Help

pecothern

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1983 Solex carb on 120 B Volvo

I used to have one of those and I would have to pump the hell out of the gas to get it to start at first then run at high idle 2500 3000 Rpms for a few minutes before it idled stable did all the adjustment when it was warm IN The Water It wouldn't Idle the same in and out of the water. At the begining of the season had to use starting fluid etc crank for 20-30 min and just about the time I was going to give up BAM it started and ran great for the rest of the season. It would not start unless the battery was very hot and spun the engine swiftly.

ReFlecKs

Cadet

I have a 1976 aq130 with dual solex carbs and have the same problem, If you let it sit for a couple of weeks you have to crank it for at least 10 minutes before it starts, once get it started once it is fine. I am about to change the coil and check timing to see if that helps I will let ya know.

chiefsfan

Recruit

The workshop manual: Adjustment of idling and mixture screws. Screw the idling screw and the mixture screw to the bottom position. Then screw the idling screw 1 1/4 turns. The mixture screw is screwed out 4 1/2 turns.

Hope this helps. I'm putting a kit in my carb and hoping for the best.