Volvo Duo-Prop vs. Bravo 3

jbobbit7

Cadet
I have found a lot of info talking about how Bravo 3 outdrives are very susceptible to corrosion but i was wondering if Volvo Duo-props had the same issue.

Also if there any people who have had experience with either one in the Potomac river and would like to share their usual maintenance to stave off corrosion it would be much appreciated.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Duo-Prop vs. Bravo 3

Looking to start a fight, eh?;)

I am a Chesapeake Bay boater and have had both. I currently have twin Volvos. The guys at the marina where I bought the boat tell me that they now order their spec boats in Volvo trim and will only order Merc if the customer requests it. I use a mobile mechanic who also seems to think Volvos are better built and easier to work on. I will say changing the raw water impellor is a whole lot more convenient.

My understanding is that there was some sort of lawsuit in the late 90's that caused Merc to change their design. The revised design evidently had some corrosion issues but supposedly those have been fixed.

My personal belief? Six of one, half dozen of the other.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Volvo Duo-Prop vs. Bravo 3

Volvo has been having corrosion issues with their DP drives for the past few years now. Not as bad as Mercruiser had with the B3, but it's a real problem.
Buyer beware, no matter what you buy. You have to have the correct anodes on it, and the anti-corrosion system needs to be functioning properly.