Volvo Penta 4.3 litre (Carburetor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Odd situation.

On Cold start, idle is about 800 rpms. No problems. After running for a while, and good and at normal operating temperature, come to a stop, go from drive to neutral and it idles high, 1100-1200 rpms. Idle won't come down, but if I turn the engine off and then back on, RPMS is back normal at 800 rpms!

Any ideas?

Also, if I am cruising, come to a stop, go in neutral and shut engine off, it will diesel or run on for about 10-20 seconds. But if I let it idle for a minute or two after going in neutral, it won't. Normal?

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 litre (Carburetor)

Hows the throttle cable adjustment? And no dieseling is not normal, and if engine ends up spinning backwards (and they often do) you will get water in your cylinders-not good.

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 litre (Carburetor)

Throttle Cable seems ok, is there something I should check in particular?

I wonder what would cause the dieseling? I use premium fuel, new spark plugs, etc. But if I let it idle for a couple minutes before shutting down, it is ok.

What should I check?

Corwin95

Recruit
I am having the exact problem with my 4.3 litre. I was just wondering what you found to be the problem.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I am having the exact problem with my 4.3 litre. I was just wondering what you found to be the problem.

This thread is 5 years old. If you want results, start a new thread. Read the Help Tip on top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.